Natural antivirals have been used by people for centuries. They have a powerful action against all sorts of viruses. Viruses are the culprits for many respiratory conditions, skin conditions, and even digestive and bowel issues. Without further ado, let’s see which are the strongest natural antivirals.
10 Most Powerful Natural Antivirals & Use
1. Thyme Oil
Thyme oil has some of the most powerful natural antivirals and antibacterial essential oils and extracts. Clove oil is next in line. But thyme oil is a reputable anti-infectious with a broad use spectrum. You can effectively use thyme oil’s natural antivirals properties for:
- viral respiratory infections
- digestive infections
- urinary tract infections
- immune booster
- nervous system booster
Read Also: 5 Best Herbs for Viral Lung Infections and How to Use Them
Bronchitis or cough? Thyme essential oils have a tremendous antiviral effect that soothes the airways. Even more so, this simple oil prevents bacterial super-infections, which cause pneumonia and other severe complications of the flu.
How to Use Thyme Oil as Natural Antivirals
The recommended dose is 2-3 drops of thyme oil twice a day, in 7-14 days cures. Or, you can make while thyme poultices as follows.
- Scald 2 teaspoons of thyme in 1/2 l of boiling water and infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and allow it to cool until the temperature is bearable for the skin.
- Soak a cotton towel in the tea, squeeze it, and apply it to the chest area.
- Place a towel on top of the poultice and a woolen shawl over it.
- Let the poultice act until it cools down.
2. Elderberry Tincture
Elderberry is one of the most renowned powerful natural antivirals, diuretics, and depuratives, a powerful force against all influenza viruses. The tincture made from elderberries has an amazingly strong antiviral action.
In all actuality, it’s action is hard to match by any other known medicine, natural or synthetic.
This has been proven by an eminent Israeli researcher, Dr. Madeleine Mumcuoglu, who specializes in virology. She has shown that elderberry extract blocks class A (including the bird flu epidemic) and class B viruses from penetrating the cells of the human body. She did tests on dozens of flu virus strains and patients, and got amazing results:
- After taking elderberry tincture, about 35% of the flu patients had very mild flu symptoms.
- For 40% of them, the flu symptoms completely disappeared after 3-4 days, with no further complications.
- Healthy patients have a significantly lower percentage of contracting the flu after taking 15-30 ml of elderberry extract as prevention during influenza epidemics.
How to Use Elderberry Tincture as Natural Antivirals
If you want to prevent flu, follow a 2-week cure with elderberry tincture right before the flu epidemic. Take 3-6 tablespoons of elderberry tincture a day (diluted in water). If you have already contracted the flu, you can dose up to 2 tablespoons of tincture diluted in half a glass of water, 3-4 times a day (preferably at 4 hours intervals in between doses).
To make this antiviral even more effective, you can couple it with birch buds extract.
Birch buds extract (Betula verrucosa) plays another very important role. It stimulates the body to fight the infection one-on-one. It also boosts immunity, particularly at the level of the middle and upper respiratory tract, where the influenza virus hits first. You can take 50 drops of birch buds extract, 3 times a day, in cures of 1-2 months.
3. Star Anise Oil
Star anise is an evergreen bush tree from the Illiciaceae family. It is native to southeastern China and is frequently encountered on the mountain slopes of the Yunnan region. Its medical use as a natural antiviral dates back to 5,000 years ago. It is actually very hard to trace it back to the civilization that first “domesticated” it.
Star anise seeds are powerful natural antivirals for viral respiratory infections of all sorts.
The antiviral property of star anise oil is due to a substance called shikimic acid. When this acid gets into the liver, it is turned into a powerful antiviral, that is further released into the bloodstream. The antiviral effect of this substance is so strong that it has become the basic component of the well-known drug Tamiflu, famous for its effects against severe influenza viruses. Star anise essential oils have expectorant and antispasmodic properties. This is why star anise is a remedy always present in tea combination formulas for cold and flu.
How to Use Star Anise as Natural Antivirals
Both the star anise powder and tea have amazing natural antiviral properties.
- Add star anise powder to spice your food.
- Enjoy as many star anise teas as you like.
- Anise star oil or extract is also great. Use it according to the instructions of the package or consult with a naturopath.
4. Bee Products
Bees are not just natural pollinators and honey-makers. They are divine healers of our planet. Bees collect all that is best from nature and make it into some of the most powerful natural antivirals. Honey, royal jelly, pollen, and propolis, all are amazing antivirals.
- Propolis – has a natural antiviral effect. In addition, it has a protective role for the hepatic cells, due to its high concentration of bioflavonoids. It is considered the most powerful anti-infective. More so, a broad-spectrum antibiotic, antiviral, immunostimulant, anti-inflammatory, healing, and local anesthetic. Propolis is twice as effective as aspirin. Modern studies have shown propolis can kill at least 21 species of bacteria, 9 species of parasitic fungi, and 30 types of viruses.
- Royal jelly – its antiviral effect stimulates the normal regeneration of hepatocytes. Fresh royal jelly in particular has a maximum antiviral and cell regenerating power.
- Honey – is a natural depurative, and according to recent studies, has a tremendous antiviral effect.
How to Use Bee Hive Products as Natural Antivirals
You can use the three produce aforementioned alone, or combined. There are many natural products that contain a combination of them. This is how you can take them:
- Propolis extract – adults 30-40 drops diluted in 100 ml of water or tea, 3 times a day, between meals.
- Royal jelly – 1-2 g /day, keep under the tongue, then swallow.
- Honey – 1 tbsp of raw organic honey (manuka is a great choice) a day; don’t use it if you are diabetic.
Continue the cure for 10-15 days.
Goldenseal is probably one of the most powerful natural antivirals native to southeastern Canada and the eastern part of The United States. Also called orangeroot, this herb is a natural anti-infective, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic. Goldenseal has the property to minimize the penetration of the infectious agent or virus into the tissues by stimulating immunoglobulin (IgA) synthesis. This extract is a natural protection for the mucous membranes (respiratory, sinus, intestinal, and urinary) against viruses. It is recommended for herpes simplex infections, cytomegalovirus infections, papillomatosis, etc.
How to Use Goldenseal as Natural Antivirals
If you want to use Goldenseal extract as a natural antiviral, look for one with at least 10% berberine concentration. Use it as prescribed on the package. For even better effects, use it together with a powerful immunostimulant. Ganoderma extract with high beta-glucan content or Echinacea makes great pair with Goldenseal. They both stimulate the immune system to fight cold and flu viruses. Supplement with 1000 mg natural Vitamin C and with Vitamin D 3.
One of the most potent natural antivirals is without any doubt, cinnamon. Cinnamon is used in the form of essential oil, tincture, or powder for its strong antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. It fights infections of the respiratory tract, digestive tract, and fungal infections of the nails and skin. This is due to the esters it contains, namely: borneol, eugenol, myrcene, and 1,8-cineol.
But there are many more other health benefits of this powerful natural antiviral. Essential cinnamon oil reduces insulin resistance, balances blood sugar levels, and reduces inflammation. Thus, it is also an important support for diabetes and obesity.
- skin infections
- canker sores
- bloating, constipation, slow digestion
- adjuvant in weight loss and obesity
- poor circulation
How to Cinnamon Oil as Natural Antivirals
You can use cinnamon capsules or extract, as prescribed on the package or bottle.
7. Bay Leaves
Bay (laurel) is known since the times of the Roman Empire when it was woven in wreaths for the victors. Back then, the aromatic leaves of the bay tree were used as a spice, and also as medicine. Due to the essential oils, it contains, bay leaves or laurel is one of the strong natural antivirals, antibacterials, and antifungals. The extract from bay leaves is used in:
- respiratory infections
- digestive issues
- rheumatic problems
- fungal infections (especially candida)
- skin infections
- canker sores
How to Use Bay Leaves as Natural Antivirals
It is used in the form of an infusion, tincture, essential oil, decoction, or maceration. Used in excess, laurel can become toxic, so be careful.
As simple as it sounds, onion is the ultimate antiviral panacea. Yes, onion is one of the cheapest natural antivirals out there. This simple vegetable has very strong natural antiviral and antimicrobial effects, indifferent of how you use it. Eating raw onions daily during the cold and flu season will most likely keep you healthy and safe. Other ways to use onion as a natural antiviral are homemade onion syrup or hot onion tea. The latter is a proven remedy for flu that affects the bronchi and the lungs.
Did you know? Placing an onion cut in halves on the bedside table overnight collects all the viruses from the air. Inhaling its scent aids in a quicker recovery.
How to Use Onion as Natural Antivirals
- Hot Onion Tea. Boil two medium-sized unpeeled onions in 1/2 l of water for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and sweeten it with honey if you wish. Drink the entire quantity right away, as hot as possible. Onion tea tastes quite unpleasantly, but its therapeutic effect is worth the pain of drinking it.
- Onion Syrup. Peel 5 large onions, finely cut them julienne, and put them in a large bowl. Add 8 tbsp of honey and macerate for 24 h. Stir with a wooden spoon as frequently as you can. You’ll see a syrup forming. Slip the syrup and pour it into a glass bottle with a cork. Store in the fridge. Have 1 tsp of onion syrup 3-4 times per day.
9. Olive Leaves
High-dose olive leaf extract is a quick and effective weapon in the fight against viruses. Less popular than their fruits, olive trees bless us with one of the strongest natural antivirals on the planet. Olive leaves are rather known for their cholesterol-lowering and hypotensive properties, but they also contain some active ingredients that activate the body’s defense system very quickly. These ingredients are so strong that today, the olive leaf extract is one of the few effective remedies that still work in the case of AIDS, including in the terminal stages of the disease.
In the case of influenza infections, the extract from the olive leaves can almost miraculously stop the disease or turn it into a very mild form. To benefit from its natural antiviral properties, it is recommended to take olive leaf extract from the first symptoms of flu. You can also use it after the disease has been installed. In this instance, the extract will reduce the healing time and prevent further complications. This natural antiviral can be safely used concomitantly with any synthetic drug.
How to Use Olive Leaves as Natural Antivirals
- Start with a higher dose of 1-1.4 g of olive leaf extract taken once.
- Continue with 0.4 g taken every eight hours, until complete healing.
Precaution! Take the extract after eating, especially for high doses. Taken on an empty stomach, the extract can greatly lower our blood sugar, giving us dizziness, headaches, and nausea.
10. Raw Fruits & Veggies Natural Antivirals
Plant-based foods contain, among other things, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and other substances with powerful antiviral and antioxidant effects. Together, they nourish the body and strengthen the immune system. Hence, the most powerful natural antiviral is a diet consisting of fresh and if possible organic fruits and vegetables.
In the field of food research and nutrition, science still has a lot of digging up to do. Their near future findings of the healing properties of fruits and vegetables will surprise us all. Below, are the best antiviral fruits and vegetables. However, following a diet rich in nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits is basically all you need to keep viruses away.
Garlic is one of the oldest known plants on Earth, mentioned in the oldest medical text, an Egyptian papyrus dating from 1500 BC. It is an important immunostimulator, effective in preventing and treating infections, as well as a natural broad-spectrum antibiotic (E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus, pseudomonas, mycobacteria, enterococci), antiviral (influenza viruses, herpes), and antifungal (Candida, aspergillus, Microsporum, trichophyton).
Countless studies have confirmed that garlic actually confers a sort of flu invulnerability. Its secret is the volatile substances it contains, which can destroy viruses and bacteria in the respiratory tract. To make use of garlic’s natural antiviral properties, have two cloves of garlic a day (minimum), especially during flu epidemics. Definitely one of the most powerful natural antivirals on the planet, that you probably already have in your pantry.
The volatile oils in horseradish are a formidable antibiotic and antiviral in the fight against both chronic and acute bronchitis. Horseradish’s spicy taste comes from the natural compounds that are a natural barrier against microorganisms that cause all sorts of respiratory infections. To make use of the natural antiviral properties of horseradish, couple it with raw honey.
Mix 4 teaspoons of grated horseradish with 2 tablespoons of honey and eat this throughout the day to prevent flu during the flu season. If the flu has already set in, eat raw horseradish or beetroot. These two root vegetables have a natural respiratory antiseptic effect because they clear the upper respiratory tract from viruses. One of the best natural antivirals out there!
Read Also: 5 Home Remedies for Upper Respiratory Tract Infections
3. Hot Pepper
Hot peppers have an extremely strong antiseptic action on the throat area. When you feel like coming down with flu or cold, eat a hot pepper with a plate of warm veggie soup. Its extremely prompt antiviral effect will surprise you, but no wonder, since hot pepper is one of the most powerful natural antivirals we know.
Substances called flavones, contained in lemon juice and especially lemon peels, are an excellent immune stimulant and antipyretic, being an invaluable help when the flu has already set in. In this situation, make the following antiviral lemon syrup:
Read Also: 10 Strongest Natural Antibiotics and How to Use Them
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon and add it to 1/2 l of water.
- Cut the lemon peel into fine slices and add it too to the water, together with 2 tbsp of raw honey.
- Mix everything well and leave it aside at room temperature for the following 2 days.
- Have this delicious lemon syrup on an empty stomach, whenever you want a natural antiviral.