If you are looking for simple and effective natural treatments for urinary tract infection, continue reading this article and find out what they are. But first.
Urinary tract infections or UTIs are one of the most common health problems, which mainly affect women. According to the National Library of Medicine, 50-60% of adult women experience this type of infection at least once in their lifetime. Usually, most UTIs affect the lower part of the urinary system, ie the bladder and urethra. When left untreated, these infections can reach the kidneys and cause pyelonephritis, known as upper urinary tract infections.
Don’t get to alarmed if you happen to have one because they are easily treatable if you take good care of yourself and follow these simple natural treatments for urinary tract infection.
8 Natural Treatments for UTI
1. Pine Cones Treatment for Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Pine cones are infallible when it comes to all sorts of urinary infections and they even cure respiratory infections and other sorts. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for urinary tract infection, indeed. This traditional medicine goes like this.
- Boil a bucket full of pine cones into a big pot of water for 15 minutes but make sure that the cones are all covered with water.
- After the 15 minutes have passed, drain them and place the decoction into a small bathtub or a basin.
- Make sure the decoction is slightly cooled down.
- Sit down in the basin for about 30 minutes and make sure the water reaches the genital area.
If you believe the water has turned way too cold, add more of the hot concoction in the tub. Immediately after finishing the bath get in bed and stay as warm as possible. Resume this treatment every night before bedtime until the urinary infection is healed. This is one of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infections.
2. Horsetail Baths for Urinary Tract Infection
Horsetail baths are amongst the best natural treatments for urinary tract infections. Here is how to do the. Fill up 1/3 of a 5-10 L pot with fresh horsetail. Wash the plant and then fill the rest of the pot with water. Cover the pot with a lid and leave overnight. The next day, around 17-18 o’clock put the pot over the fire. After it has boiled for about 10 minutes add 300 gr of another herb in the pot of your choosing: yarrow, marigold, thyme, wormwood, St. John’s wort. Boil for another 5-7 minutes and then take the pot off the fire and put a lid on it.
While boiling, the plant will start floating, hence use a wooden spoon to push it down every now and then.
- Leave the broth to infuse for 15 minutes with a lid on.
- Using the same wooden spoon, take the herbs out of the pot and place them on a fluffy cotton sheet, the size of a baby diaper.
- Place the sheet in a pot, because the liquid will pour from it.
- Pour the remaining liquid from the large pot into a small basin.
Add cold water over to regulate the temperature, so it’s bearable for bathing. The hotter the water, the more powerful effect the tea will have. As simple as it sounds, this herbal bath is one of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infection.
- Get into the basin, so that the water covers your kidney area but not your heart.
- Place the cotton sheet with herbs on the abdomen while bathing.
- Soak the sheet in the hot water from now and then so that they are kept always warm.
- Move the herbal poultice from your abdomen to the stomach area, liver, on the genital organs and pancreas.
Enjoy your bath for around 40 minutes, then get out and wash your feet without using soap.
- Take on a pair of socks without whipping your feet and get on your pajamas, and a thick bathrobe over the pajama so that you start sweating.
- Get directly into bed.
- Drink 1/2 L of linden tea with a bit of sugar and lemon while hot.
- Don’t uncover yourself, only if you cannot breathe.
- Use a towel to wipe off the transpiration of your neck, but don’t wipe of the transpiration from your body.
It’s very important that you don’t get out of bed or go peeing. After 1 hour of sitting like this, you can get out of bed, wipe yourself clean, put on new pajamas, and go to bed. Repeat the horsetail bath every second day and perform 10 baths in total. Pause for 2 weeks and then resume the remedy if you are really sick. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for urinary tract infection.
3. Fresh Juice Natural Treatments for Urinary Tract Infection
Fresh veggies juice is one of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infection. Make a fresh juice with 300 gr of beetroot, 100 gr carrots, 100 gr celery root, 70 gr potatoes, 30 gr black radish, 1/2 cabbage, 1 garlic head, and 1 onion. Drink 250 ml of this juice first thing in the morning. Another juice recipe is this one:
- Make juice from 3 lemons, dilute it with water, and split into 3 portions.
- Have the juice before the 3 main meals.
Complete this fresh juice remedy with this herbal tea mix. Make the tea with 2 tsp. of yarrow and the same quantity common lady’s mantle in 250 ml of water. Prepare together and have 2 cups per day, one in the morning and the other at lunchtime. These herbs are amongst the most effective natural treatments for urinary tract infections. In case you also suffer from kidney infections, this is what you can do:
- Prepare 1 cup of birch leaves tea in the evening.
- Make the tea by adding 2 tsp. of leaves per 250 ml of water.
- When the tea cools down, add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate as well.
- Cover the tea and leave it overnight.
- The next morning slip the tea and drink it half of the quantity.
- Then 4 hours later drink the other half as well.
Supplement this natural remedy with vitamins and minerals as well. This is one of the most complete natural treatments for urinary tract infection and a very effective one.
4. Wild Thyme Remedy for UTI
Also known as Thymus vulgaris, wild thyme is one of the best natural antibiotics when used as thyme oil. This is why this simple herb is one of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infections. Prepare the wild thyme oil as follows.
- Cover the chopped herb with cold-pressed sunflower or olive oil.
- After a few days add a bit of alcohol and boil the mix in a bain-marie.
- Slip it and the thyme oil is ready.
- Add a few wild thyme oil drops into the diuretic teas you drink throughout the day.
The diuretic teas that we recommend are calamus, greater celandine, and hellebore. This is one of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infection.
5. Cabbage Remedy for Urinary Tract Infections
Take 1-3 large cabbage leaves, cut out the middle vein, and cut them into halves. Use a rolled pin to firmly press the leaves until they start to juice. Pile 2-3 leaves halves and place them on the inferior part of the abdomen. Do this procedure overnight. Tie the leaves in place with a cotton bandage.
At the same time, take horsetail sitz baths (38°C maximum). Also, drink a herbal mix of tea with wild thyme, calendula, dandelion, and yarrow. All of these herbs have anti-inflammatory properties, which makes them some of the best natural treatments for urinary tract infections. Continue doing this natural remedy daily, until you are completely healed.
6. Thyme Oil and Honey Remedy for UTI
However, if you wish for something even more simple, try the thyme oil remedy. Have three drops of thyme oil into one tablespoon of raw honey, 3 times a day before meals on an empty stomach with water only. Don’t eat anything 15 minutes after taking this treatment. Follow this simple remedy for 5 to 7 days and you’ll definitely heal from this annoying condition. Thyme oil is one of the most powerful natural treatments for urinary tract infections.
Read Also: 4 Natural Treatments for Cystitis
7. Juniper Treatments for UTI
Take 4 drops of juniper oil in a teaspoon with a bit of sugar 3 times per day. After the symptoms are gone, continue the treatment for 2-3 more days, with a smaller dosage: 2 drops 3 times per day. Usually, in 2 weeks maximum the UTI will be gone.
Another way to use juniper is in the form of a tincture made from juniper fruits. In combination with pine raisin tincture, it’s even better. Add 1 tsp. of each into 1/2 cups of water and take it 3 times per day on an empty stomach for 14 days. You can resume it after a 7 days pause. In parallel, do a clay cure. This is one of the most amazing natural treatments for urinary tract infection.
8. Wheat Bran Remedy for UTI
Pour 300 ml of still water over 4 tbsp of bran leave to macerate overnight. Next morning drink the water after you’ve slipped it and warmed it up a bit. For the supper, take 3 tsp of soaked bran and mix them with natural yogurt. This remedy will help rebuild your intestinal flora and help eliminate the toxins out of your body. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for urinary tract infection there is.
5 Natural Tips for Urinary Tract Infections
1. Diet for UTI
In addition to the natural treatments for urinary tract infection above, diet is very important. Exclude animal proteins from your diet as possible. Avoid spices, smoking, alcohol, and coffee. It is also recommended that you eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, fish, honey, fresh juices, and herbal teas for detoxing the body and stimulating immunity. Eat fruits low on sugars (plums, apricots, apples, etc). Avoid sugar, sweets, and make sure the foods you eat are as natural as possible.
Drink only fresh spring or still water, but don’t drink from the tap. Tap water can contain bacteria and germs such as E.Coli in it and fluoride. Drink plenty of sage, juniper, codlins-and-cream, spiny cocklebur, couch grass, corn silk, cherry stems, birch leaves, and yarrow teas throughout the day (1 L per day in between meals). Take a pinch of sodium bicarbonate after breakfast for 10 days. This addition to the natural treatments for urinary tract infection abovementioned will really speed up the healing process.
3. Vitamins for UTI
Eat plenty of raw pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are rich in magnesium and zinc. You can also take zinc and magnesium tablets (1-2/day). Another recommended vitamin for UTI is natural Vitamin E and minerals such as calcium and magnesium complex.
Anoint the urinary meatus with coriander oil after each urination. When sleeping, hold a bottle with hot water between the legs.
Wear warm shoes only to protect your feet from cold. Avoid cold, flu, and moist.
Read Also: 8 Home Remedies for UTI with E. Coli
We hope that the natural treatments for urinary tract infection here will truly help you out, as they did many others before you. Stay healthy, naturally!