Looking for a remedy for cold and flu? We have here more than one remedy that can really help you out. Just continue reading.
Perhaps the most common health condition that people confront with these days is cold, and of course, it more severe cousin: the flu.
Although, in most cases not life-threatening, the symptoms related to cold and flu make you feel miserable, this is why you’ll need a few useful natural remedies for cold and flu just in case. Here they are!
In This Article You Will Find:
13 Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
1. Garlic, The Best Remedy for Cold and Flu
Here we have a 2 garlic based cured for cold that you might find useful if you don’t plan to go out.
The Miraculous Raw Garlic Cure
Swallow 1 clove of garlic each morning on an empty stomach, with a glass of water. This is a long-term remedy and it helps fortify your immune system, garlic being a mighty powerful antibiotic. Another way to use garlic in case of cold or flu is the following.
- Eat raw grated garlic (3 to 6 cloves per day).
- Peel and grate the garlic in the morning, divide into 3 parts and have them before the main meals.
Be aware: raw garlic in large quantities may trouble your stomach, so it’s best to start with a smaller quantity (2) and if you don’t experience any negative side-effects increase their number. This treatment is not recommended for pregnant women, or for those who breastfeed!
The Garlic Tincture Cure for Cold & Flu
Last but not least, garlic tincture is also amazing with flu. This is how you make it.
- Add 1/3 parts crushed garlic and 2/3 90° alcohol in a 1 L glass bottle.
- Macerate the preparation for 15 days in a cool and dark place.
- Afterwards, slip the garlic macerate through multiple gauze layers and then pour it in a dark colored glass bottle with cork and keep in the fridge.
- Start the garlic tincture cure by adding 3 drops in 100 ml warm water and drink this first thing in the morning.
- Increase the dose daily, by adding another macerate drop, until you reach a number of 25 drops per day.
- From that on, decrease the number of drops until you come back to 3 drops per day.
- Pause for 2-3 weeks and resume. That’s it!
2. Propolis, a Natural Remedy for Cold
In case of cold, go directly to your local beekeeper and start this simple remedy.
- Have 30 drops of propolis tincture, three times per day before mealtime and have one pill of Apilarnil (a traditional Romanian product) right before bedtime.
- Accompany this treatment with 3 cups of tea made from nettle, marigolds and yarrow.
- Propolis tincture (30%) is also amazing if you add 4 drops at the base of your tongue, 2 drops of each side of the tongue.
- Also, you can make propolis gargles by adding 30 drops of propolis tincture per 1 cup of chamomile or marigold tea.
- Make the gargles as profound as possible and swallow afterwards.
3. Clove and Cinnamon Cold Remedy for Cold
- Boil 10 g of cinnamon bark and 10 g of cloves for 10 minutes in 250 ml of water.
- Let the tea cool down, slip and then add the juice of one big lemon or of two small ones.
- Also add 3 tbsp. of honey and 500 ml of rum, brandy or spirits.
- Mix well and pour the content in a glass bottle.
- When you sense that you’re catching a cold, 3 shots of this delicious remedy a day will do the trick!
4. Onion Tea Remedy for Cold & Flu
- Cut a tea finely and boil it for about 5 minutes, slip the content and let it cool down until the temperature is OK for you to drink it.
- Sweeten the tea with a little honey and drink it in small sips.
- After drinking the onion tea go directly to bed and you’ll start to sweat.
Onion may reduce the glucose levels, so diabetes patients need to adjust their glucose levels if they wish to follow this remedy.
5. Onion Syrup Home Remedy for Cold
- Concomitantly with the onion syrup cure, start an apple cure by eating only 0.5-1kg of grated raw apples a day with peels on as well.
- Meanwhile, don’t eat anything else.
- This is how you make the onion syrup.
- Peel 5 large onions, finely cut them julienne and put them into a large bowl.
- Add 8 tbsp. of honey over them and leave them to stay 1 day and 1 night, while stirring with a wooden spoon, as frequently as you can.
- You’ll see a syrup forming.
- Slip the content and pour it in a glass bottle with a cork and keep in the fridge.
- Have 1 tsp. of onion syrup 3-4 times per day and you’ll be just fine.
6. Horseradish Syrup Remedy for Flu
- Clean and grate 3 kg of horseradish.
- At the same time wash 1 basket full of plantago leaves and lay them on a clean surface to dry on their own.
- Take an 8 kg jar and start making layers of horseradish, plantago and honey as follows.
- First layer will be the plantago leaves layer followed by a grated horseradish one, another one of sugar and another one of honey.
- Lay down four layers of each ingredients, by pouring the entire quantities of sugar and honey (1 kg of each).
- Seal the jar tightly that you need to put into a dug hole in the ground to let it ferment for 40 days.
- Afterwards, slip the syrup and have 3 tsp. per day, whenever you’ve caught a cold or the flu.
7. Treat Flu with a Fir Cones and Buds Syrup
- Another mighty syrup for flu is the fir cones and buds one.
- Place green fir cones in a clay pot and then pour honey or sugar over the cones.
- Next layer is the buds ones and then comes another one of honey.
- Continue the procedure until the clay pot is full.
- Close the pot with a lid really well and tie a clean cloth around the pot to keep the lid in place.
- Burry the pot in the ground for 6 weeks.
- When the time comes, soak the buds and cones off the syrup and gather it a clean glass bottles.
- Have a few tsp. of this syrup a few times per day and don’t eat anything afterwards for the following 2 hours.
8. Marigolds, Chamomile and Plantago Tea
- Add 1 tsp. of mixed marigold flowers, chamomile and plantago per 300 ml of hot water.
- Boil the tea on low heat for 7 minutes.
- Slip the tea, let it cool down a bit and then add honey and lemon juice.
- Have 2-3 cups of this tea per day for the following 2-3 days and you’ll be back on your own two!
9. Plantago, Yarrow and Mint Remedy
- Make a hot tea with plantago, yarrow and one sprig of mint.
- While you’re having this tea keep your feet in hot water in a basin for 5-10 minutes.
- If you cannot drink your tea unsweetened, you may add 1 tsp. of honey.
- If the water has turned slightly cold, pour more hot water over it.
- Afterwards, jump directly into bed.
- The effect is very rapid, no matter how strong the cold is.
Usually, two evenings in a row of this simple remedy should do.
Or try the elderflower tea, which is also amazing for cold and flu.
- Pour 150 ml of hot water over 2 tsp. of elderflowers, let infuse for 5 minutes and then slip.
- Drink several cups of this tea multiple times per day.
This tea is especially recommended for the second half of the day when you need to drink it as hot as possible.
10. Scottish Showers for Cold and Flu
- Start with a warm shower followed by short showers with cold water (as cold as you can bare, for a few seconds).
- Start the cold shower starting with your left foot, then shower your right one and continue with the entire body. In the end, rub your body with a towel to stimulate the blood flow to move.
- Take the Scottish showers daily, in the morning, starting with spring or summer and continue as much as you can.
- You can go on all year long, if you wish.
11. Nasal Washes with Salt
- Boil 1 L of water with 1 tsp. of salt for 10 minutes.
- Afterwards, leave the water to cool down until it reaches body temperature.
- Pour a bit of the water in the scoop of your palm and inhale the water with one nostril, while the other one is stoppered with your other hand.
- Draw the liquid on your nostrils and then let it come out on your mouth.
- Alternate so that both of your nostrils get clean.
- Follow the remedy for at least 15 days, time in which your nostrils and nasal passages will be clean and you be able to breathe easily.
- Don’t go out while your nostrils are still wet, let them completely dry before you go out in the cold air.
12. Mustard Feet Baths for Flu and Cold
Another awesome remedy for cold and flu are mustard feet baths.
- Mix 150 gr of mustard flour with a bit of cold water.
- Let it stay for 15 minutes and then add the obtained paste in 4 L of warm water (38°).
- Pour this water into a basin and stick your feet in it.
- The water temperature must not go over 40°, otherwise the mustard loses its healing properties.
Salty feet baths are also amazing for cold and flu related symptoms.
Make hot salty feet baths until the water almost turns cold, then go directly to bed and cover yourself really well. Cover your heat as well and take sips of boiled horseradish.
13. Horseradish Cataplasms Remedy for Cold and Flu
Grate horseradish cataplasms and make cataplasms with them. Put the cataplasms on the chest. The essential oils baths are the mildest way to prevent catching a cold or even flu. A great essential oils mix for cold prevention and treatment is composed of eucalypt oils, mint oils, pine oils and niaouli essential oils.
All these natural oils can easily be purchased from specialized stores and even pharmacies, so don’t worry.
- Add 5 drops of each of these essential oils into a tub filled with warm water.
- However, before adding the essential oils dilute them in olive oil.
- Add the mix into the warm water right before getting in.
- Besides preventing or healing cold or flu, this sort of treatment also helps activate the blood flow and helps the body warm faster.
Best Remedies for Cold & Flu Related Symptoms
Milk, Honey & Butter Cure
- Boil a cup of milk with honey and add a walnut-sized piece of butter inside.
- After the butter has melted, drink the milk in small sips, as hot as possible.
- Make sure you don’t get burnt, though!
- Drink this twice a day to calm down the sore throat and cough.
Egg Yolks Treatment
- Mix well 2-3 egg yolks with 2-3 tbsp. of honey and 2-3 tbsp. of grain alcohol.
- Dissolve a little propolis in the mixture and have the entire quantity in 2 hours, while you don’t eat anything else.
The Cold Rice Compress
- Fill a clean sock with rice.
- If you experience fever, put the sock in the fridge and then on the forehead.
- If you have chills, heat the sock of rice in the oven and use it as cataplasms on the soles of your feet.
- Make a feet and hand wrist massage with hot pepper tincture made with spirits.
- This is no remedy suited for children.
Vinegar Soaked Sheets
- Wrap the sick in water and vinegar soaked sheets.
- Then wrap them in a blanket and directly to bed.
- Drink a cup of warm tarragon tea because tarragon helps down the fever.
- Small children can be wrapped in cold milk soaked sheets or apple cider vinegar and apple soaked sheets.
Willow Tea Cure
- Willow bark tea is amazing for fever and you should have a few cups per day.
Onion Home Cure
- Boil one whole (unpeeled) onion in 500 ml of water along with sugar until the water quantity drops to half and it turns yellowish.
- Drink in multiple rounds all in the same day.
Black Pepper Cure
- Boil black pepper and inhale on your nose to unclog it.
Honey and Horseradish Treatment
- Make a simple composition with honey and horseradish and have 1 tsp. three times per day.
Raw Propolis Cure
- Add 3-4 grains of raw propolis in a tablespoon over fire and inhale the smoke derived from warming the raw propolis.
- Inhale profoundly every time.
- Do this once or twice a day, a few days in a row, until your nose is unclogged completely.
Boost the Immune System Naturally Against Flu
Honey and Echinacea
Add 50 ml of Echinacea tincture per 500 ml of honey. Have 1 teaspoon of this remedy 2-3 times per day.
Honey and Vinegar
Add 1-2 tbsp. of vinegar per one cup of water and sweeten with honey on your taste resulting a tasty juice, full of calcium, magnesium and vitamins.
Quail Eggs Immunity Booster Cure
This is a year-long treatment that helps fortify the immune system against cold and flu. Follow the treatment for 15 days, pause for another 15 and then resume and so on for 1 full year. Mix well in one cup warm goat milk with 3 quail eggs (well whisked, both whites and yolks), 1 tsp. of honey, 1 pinch of cacao powder and 1 pinch of vanilla essence, for taste. Make sure the quail eggs are fresh! Drink this mixture early in the morning on an empty stomach, 20 minutes before breakfast. Goat milk is sheer miraculous and you may drink ½ L per day.
Sea Water Treatment
If you have the possibility, fill a glass bottle with sea water, fresh and clean. Keep the sea water at room temperature and use it for frequent gargles during the day.