Are you looking for some efficient and simple sore throat remedies, that you can try at home?
Then you’re on the right side of the internet, because we are about to reveal to you the very best sore throat remedies.
Some of these remedies use simple herbs like the common marshmallow or chamomile, while others make use of simple roots or condiments.
Cure your throat ache with one of the best 8 sore throat remedies we will share with you. Let’s begin!
In This Article You Will Find:
8 Best Sore Throat Remedies DIY
1. Honey and Pine Buds Remedy for Sore Throat
This remedy is very good for all types of throat and mouth conditions, from canker sores to tonsillitis. However, it works wonders for a sore throat and it has a pleasant taste, so even kids like it. Make the remedy as follows:
- raw honey, 15% pine buds syrup, 15% low strength propolis tincture.
- Add 15% rose tincture too if you want to use it for canker sores.
- The ingredients combine will have a total weight of 100 grams.
- Take 4-5 halves teaspoons of the mix every 2-3 minutes.
- Stir well before each use.
Take your time swallowing it, the idea is to keep it in your mouth and swallow slowly. The idea is that the mixture stays on the sore area in the throat as much as possible.
Repeat 3-5 times a day, depending on how sore your throat is. After the treatment don’t drink nor eat anything for 1 hour.
Usually the effects will be felt after the first day of the treatment, but you must continue until you have used the entire honey mixture. That’s when you know your throat is 100% healed.
2. Sore Throat Remedy using Cottage Cheese Compress
- Spread a thick layer of cottage cheese on a linen napkin.
- Drizzle some raw apple cider vinegar over the cheese and apply the compress on your neck, with the cheese layer facing the skin.
- Secure the compress in place with a neck scarf and preferably keep it on overnight.
If you can’t seem to keep it that long, at least let it stay until the cheese has dried out completely.
In addition to the cottage cheese compress, drink rib wort plantain tea in small sips. The cheese cools down the throat and reduces the inflammation, while the tea soothes the throat mucosa.
3. Potatoes and Apple Cider Vinegar Remedy for Sore Throat
Grate a couple potatoes, drizzle apple cider vinegar over them and make a poultice, similar to the one using cottage cheese. Secure the poultice tightly around the neck. Rub the back and hands using apple cider vinegar.
If you want to use this sore throat remedy on an infant, make sure you dilute the apple cider vinegar with water, before doing the rubbing.
4. Boiled Potatoes Treatment for Strep Throat
- Boil 500 g of potatoes in their skins.
- When they are fully cooked, put them in a linen bag and give them a good smash.
- Apply the bag of smashed potatoes on the sore area of the neck and keep it on until the potatoes have completely cooled down.
In order to avoid skin burns from the hot potatoes, wrap a clean towel around the neck first and put the potato bag on top.
5. Chamomile Compress for Sore Throat
- Add 1 tbsp. of chamomile in a cup of boiling water and leave it aside to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Pour the infusion over a cheese cloth, squeeze it gently and apply it on the neck.
- Cover it with a piece of plastic foil. When the compress had fully cooled down, change it with a new one.
You can also use hot olive oil and lavender water compresses or poultice with figs cut and sprinkled with vegetable oil. Beware of not burning yourself with the hot oil, though!
6. Sore Throat Remedy with Common Marshmallow Tea
- Have 2 cups of common marshmallow tea every day, one in the morning and the other one in the evening.
Since common marshmallow is such an efficient herbal medicine for sore throat, there is another way in which you can use it.
- Cut the fresh plant and spread it on a cheese cloth.
- Drizzle some homemade natural fruit brandy and make a poultice.
- Apply the poultice on the neck area and the pain in the throat will be gone in maximum 2 days.
You can use dried plant as well.
7. Natural Gargles for Strep Throat with Radish Seeds
Radish seeds are loaded with sulfur rich etheric oils that act as a natural antibiotic, that’s why they are excellent for soothing a sore throat. Mix 1 tsp. of radish seeds and 1 tbsp. raw honey with half a cup of apple cider vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add water until the apple cider has loosened its strength so even kids can gargle with it. Repeat the gargle throughout the day.
8. Natural Gargles for Strep Throat
Add 1 tsp. of sea salt in 500 ml of lukewarm water. Gargle with this water every other hour, until your throat feels better.
Or make the ACV gargle.
Mix 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar with 1 tsp. honey and dilute them with chamomile tea. Use it for gargle during the day, until the soreness in the throat reduces and gives in completely. Alpine squill tea gargles are also very effective.