Looking for home remedies for pharyngitis that work fast? Continue reading this article and discover 12 amazing remedies for pharyngitis.
Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the pharynx, that causes discomfort or pain when swallowing. In most cases, pharyngitis leads to the inflammation of the lymphatic ganglion under the lower jaw that becomes painful to touch. Another common symptom of pharyngitis is cough. Oftentimes dry cough is one of the first symptoms of flu and other respiratory conditions. Pharyngitis can also be triggered by an allergy or a fungus infection in the body.
Most Common Causes of Pharyngitis
Acute pharyngitis is one of the most frequently accompanying symptoms of most upper respiratory tract conditions. Due to the direct communication between the pharyngeal mucous to the nasal mucous, pharyngitis is most commonly the first sign of catarrh. The symptoms are a strep and irritated throat, red in color, with an unpleasant sensation when swallowing.
- In other cases, pharyngitis can become chronic, when the patient is exposed to irritants or allergens such as a polluted environment, alcohol, or cigarette smoke.
- There may be other causes for chronic pharyngitis, such as mechanical factors. This is why pharyngitis is very common in people who use their voices a lot, singers for example.
- Another cause may also be breathing through the mouth due to a clogged nose.
- Old age is another cause of pharyngitis. The reason is that along with aging, the body’s secretion production drops, leading to a permanent cough often time untreatable.
- Some modern drugs, such as medicine for high blood pressure can cause an irritating cough that can be mistaken for pharyngitis.
Types of Pharyngitis
- Simple Pharyngitis – sore throat, mild discomfort when swallowing, moderate fever.
- Pultaceous Pharyngitis – puss present in the pharynx or around the tonsils, intense pain when swallowing, high fever (it’s best to see a doctor when you experience all these symptoms).
- Dry Pharyngitis – much more irritative, with no mucous, or expectoration; it is more difficult to treat and requires intense hydration.
- Pain when swallowing. This is the first symptom of pharyngitis and the one that goes away the last. This pain is triggered by the inflammation and irritation caused by excessive coughing.
- Swollen lymph. Usually, the ganglion around the pharynx swells up (maxillary, jaw, axillary)
- It is not always present.
- Excess mucous or expectoration. When the mucous gets inflamed, the body secrets more mucous that causes phlegm buildup.
- In most cases, it’s an irritating cough due to an extreme itching in the throat. It usually gets more intense at deep inhales.
Without further ado, let’s get into the home remedies for pharyngitis, some of the most powerful out there.
12 Effective Home Remedies for Pharyngitis
1. Herbal Mix Tea for Pharyngitis
Make a herbal mix of 30 g hedge mustard (Sisymbrium officinale), 30 g fennel (Foeniculum vulgaris), 15 g common ivy herb (Hedera helix), and 15 g hyssop (Hyssopus officinale). These herbs are some of the most powerful home remedies for pharyngitis. Boil a cup of water and add 2-4 tsp of this herbal blend. Drink as hot as possible. If you dislike the taste, you can add some organic honey to sweeten it up.
2. Onion Juice Remedy for Pharyngitis
Honey sweetened onion juice is a real elixir for a sore throat and one of the best home remedies for pharyngitis or tonsillitis. First, peel 5 large onions, slice them up and place them in a mixing bowl. Add 8 tbsp of honey on top, cover the bowl and let it sit for 24 hours while stirring frequently. Strain the juice obtained from the soaked onions. Pour it into a dark-colored bottle with a seal. Keep the onion juice in the fridge. Have 1 tsp of this tea 4 times per day until the symptoms of pharyngitis are gone completely.
3. Baking Soda Gargle for Pharyngitis
Prepare two cups of water and add 1 tsp of baking soda in one and 1 tsp of salt in the other. Gargle a few times a day, first with the baking soda water and immediately afterward with the salted water. Make profound gargles but don’t swallow. This remedy is also good for laryngitis, tonsillitis, and headaches, and it’s one of the most effective home remedies for pharyngitis.
4. Blackberry Leaves Tea Remedy
For this simple remedy, you need 100 g of blackberry leaves (Rubus fruticosus). Boil the leaves on low heat for 5-10 minutes in 1 l of water. Leave the tea aside for 10 minutes. Make long gargles, so wash the irritated mucous well with the blackberry tea. Repeat whenever you feel discomfort. Blackberry leaves tea is one of the best home remedies for pharyngitis.
5. Common Marshmallow Remedy for Pharyngitis
Make a tea with common marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) leaves and flowers, sweeten it with honey, and use it for gargles in the morning and at night. As simple as it sounds, this is one of the most powerful home remedies for pharyngitis.
6. Blueberries Stew Remedy for Pharyngitis
Blueberries are not just very nutritious and nurturing, they also make one of the best home remedies for pharyngitis. For this remedy, add 1 handful of blueberries to 1 liter of boiling water and continue boiling until the quantity drops to half. Rinse your mouth first and then use the blueberries stew for gargling, after it has cooled off.
7. Green Tea with Chili
Prepare a green or black tea in which you add 10 hot chili seeds. Drink the tea as hot as possible in small sips, so that it has the time to take effect in the throat area. This simple tea is one of the most effective home remedies for pharyngitis.
8. Honeycomb Home Remedy
Chew on a honeycomb for 30 minutes, every morning between 10 and 11 am.
Maria Treben’s 3 Miraculous Teas for Pharyngitis
Maria Treben, the famous Austrian author and herbalist known for making traditional German/Eastern European remedies popular throughout the entire world, recommends some of the best home remedies for pharyngitis, in the form of 3 herbal teas. These teas are:
- Coltsfoot flower tea (Tussilago farfara). This plant is very popular for its anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties, that’s why Treben recommends it for pharyngitis as well as bronchitis, laryngitis, bronchial asthma and pleurisy, and even for incipient tuberculosis. This tea is amazing for cough episodes and hoarseness. Drink a cup of hot coltsfoot flower tea several times per day.
- Sage tea (Salvia officinalis). Maria Treben recommends the external use of sage tea for tonsillitis, throat conditions, dental abscesses, pharyngeal inflammations, and oral problems. Prepare this tea by scalding 1 tsp. of sage into 1 cup of water and let it sit. Make a compress with this tea and apply it to your throat area, where you experience the pain caused by pharyngitis.
- Common agrimony tea (Agrimonia eupatoria). This plant is known to have a powerful curative effect on all throat and mouth inflammations. According to Maria Treben, common agrimony tea should be our go-to remedy for angina, pharyngitis, ulcerative stomatitis, and other inflammations of the oral mucosa. Use this tea for gargles or drink 1-2 cups of this tea daily. This is one of the best home remedies for pharyngitis.
Home Remedies for Pharyngitis Caused by Yeast Infection
A sore throat that simply doesn’t go away may be a case of pharyngitis triggered by a yeast infection of the mouth. Although this may sound scary, you shouldn’t panic because there are some natural home remedies for pharyngitis without conventional drugs.
Read Also: 10 Home Remedy for Laryngitis
If you have access to acupuncture or reflexology, we recommend that you try these alternative approaches to treat your pharyngitis. If not, what you can do is work on your diet and follow these simple and all-natural tips:
- Take out meat and meat products from your diet until your throat heals completely and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies.
- Eat garlic on a daily basis; you can also drink the juice from 2 carrots, 1 parsley root, and 2 cloves of garlic for 10 days.
- Add 10 tbsp. of brans to your daily diet; you can add them to a smoothie or yogurt.
- Use essential fir oil for daily inhalations.
- Gargle multiple times per day with a herbal mix of marigold, licorice, and yarrow.
Read Also: 10 Best Sore Throat Remedies You Should Try
Although pharyngitis may be a real pain and create great discomfort, there are very many home remedies for pharyngitis out there that actually help. We have shared with you a few of the most effective home remedies for pharyngitis and we hope you try them successfully. Stay healthy!