Laryngitis is most common with people who use their voice on a daily bases and often times put pressure on their larynx and vocal folds. Singers, public speakers, teachers often times get laryngitis due to excess effort put on their larynx apparatus.
However, we have found a great home remedy for laryngitis, that you could try and really improve the state of your larynx and bring back your voice.
In This Article You Will Find:
10 Home Remedies for Laryngitis
1. Quince, the Remedy for Laryngitis
One of the best home remedy for laryngitis are the quince decoction gargles. The quince decoction goes like this:
- Get a well ripped big quince, thoroughly wash it and then cut it in thin strips.
- Place it in a pot, add 1 liter of water and place it over fire on low heat.
- Let it simmer until the water quantity drops to half, then slip the liquid and let it cool down a bit.
- Start making gargles with the warm quince decoction several times per day, and right before bedtime.
Don’t throw away the quince stripes. You could use sprinkle some powdered sugar over, cook them in the oven and get this delicious dessert.
This is a simple and efficient home remedy for laryngitis, and we do recommend that you gargle a lot when confronting with laryngitis and try to speak as little as possible to help the throat relax.
2. Lamb Caul Cure for Laryngitis
Warm up a piece of lamb or sheep caul by placing it on the lid put over a pot of boiling water. After the caul is warm enough, spread it over the chest of the patient and cover it with a piece of gauze. Place a thick wool coat over the gauze and cover the patient well. Give them plenty of hot linden tea so they start to sweat abundantly. Relax and let nature take it’s healing course.
3. Yawning, a Remedy
Also, a very simple exercise to relax and position the larynx back in its place is to yawn as many times as you can throughout the day. Yawning is a subconscious reflex that we have in order to help the vocal tract relax and just release the tension.
Read More: 7 Natural Remedies for Hoarseness
4. Sodium Bicarbonate Gargle
In the evening before bedtime make gargles with sodium bicarbonate, then have a tsp. of honey. Keep the honey under the tongue as much as possible and then swallow it. It’s not recommended that you eat afterwards, but go to bed. You may use chamomile or linden tea for gargle and alternate the sodium bicarbonate with tea gargles.
5. Anise Seeds Treatment for Laryngitis
Boil 1/2 cup of anise seeds into 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Slip and add 1/4 cups of honey and 1 tbsp. of cognac into the liquid. Take 1 tsp. of the concoction every half hour. This remedy repairs your voice in a few hours.
6. Bran Remedy
Add 400 gr of bran in 2 L of boiling water. Sweeten with honey and drink the entire quantity throughout the day instead of other liquids. Make sure you drink it as hot as you can. This is a sure laryngitis remedy!
Read More: 3 Home Remedies for Voice Loss
7. Propolis Tincture Remedy for Laryngitis
Add 20 drops of propolis tincture on a small piece of bread. Suck on the bread and the swallow it. Do this 3 times per day. Throughout the day you can chew on propolis granules.
- Lamp Oil. Add 10 drops of lamp oil on a sugar cube, suck on it and swallow. Again, do this several times per day.
- Egg Yolk Remedy. Whip 1 egg yolk with a bit of honey and swallow it.
- Warm Milk. Add 1 tsp. of goose lard in 1 cup of hot milk. Drink as hot as you can bear 2-3 cups per day.
Vocal pause is necessary, especially when suffering from chronic laryngitis. Don’t drink too cold or too hot drinks. Relax and just take a break. Take care!