If you are looking for simple and effective natural remedies for insomnia, continue reading this article and find out what they are. But first.
Insomnia can be caused by stress or other causes, but matter how severe it is there are natural remedies for insomnia that really work. We have put together here a collection with some of the best natural remedies and cures for those who suffer from insomnia.
If you haven’t yet tried the valerian root tea or the lemon balm salad to fight insomnia, there’s still time life. Below you will find the valerian root tea recipe and other natural remedies for insomnia that are all-natural and with no side-effects. Let’s begin!
7 Natural Remedies for Insomnia
1. Basil and Almonds Natural Remedies for Insomnia
Basil tea is a great remedy for insomnia caused by stress and overworking. Basil tea is one of the most powerful natural sleeping pills, which makes this one of the most powerful natural remedies for insomnia. All you need is dried and minced basil leaves to prepare a simple and delicious tea. Here is the recipe:
- Add one tablespoon of basil in 200 ml of hot water.
- Infuse for 10 minutes and sweeten the tea with natural honey.
- Strain and drink the basil tea in small sips.
- Drink this tea right before bedtime.
Follow this simple natural remedy for insomnia for 2 weeks and you’ll recover exceptionally. Your appetite will be back, your energy and vitality and your will to live another day. You won’t feel any difference on the first night when you drink this tea. But the next day if you repeat it drink a basil tea in the morning too, you’ll sleep like a baby that night.
In addition, if you combine this simple remedy with a handful of raw almond mixed with honey it’s even better. Eat the raw almonds and honey half an hour before bedtime whenever you have trouble sleeping. Also, make a small sachet with basil leaves and put it on your pillow when you’re ready to go to sleep.
2. Natural Remedies for Insomnia with Honey
Honey can be used in many different ways to prevent the sleepless nights caused by insomnia. Here are the best natural remedies for insomnia with honey.
Honey & Apple Cider Remedy for Insomnia
Mix together 2 tsp of honey with 3 tsp of organic apple cider until the composition becomes homogeneous. Have 2 tsp of this simple and delicious remedy 1 hour before bedtime. In about 40 minutes sugar enters your blood stream and you’ll become calm and ready to sleep. If you still cannot fall asleep, take another 2 tsp of the mix.
Honey & Vinegar Remedy
Mix 2 tsp of honey with 2 tsp of vinegar. Take it before bedtime. This is also a great remedy for hair loss if you mix the ingredients in a cup of water and drink it in the morning. You can use the water from pickles instead of vinegar; drink it 15 minutes before bedtime.
Honey & Onion Home Remedy for Insomnia
Boil 100 g of grated onion in a small covered pot for 15 minutes. Leave aside to cool down a bit and then slip and squeeze. Add 50 g of natural honey and mix well until it becomes homogenous. Drink the entire quantity before bedtime, while still hot. Repeat until insomnia is gone for good.
Lemon Juice & Honey
Peel one lemon and cut it in three. Remove the seeds and squeeze the lemon juice in a cup. Mix the juice and the pulp of the lemon with 3 tsp of raw honey. Drink the entire quantity before bedtime and you’re ready for some sweet dreams!
In addition to the home remedies above, there are 2 ways in which you can use honey to fight insomnia. Here is how. Have 1 tbsp of honey after dinner or dissolve it in a cup of warm milk. Add 1 tsp of honey into a cup of red wine along with 1 cap of valerian tincture. These are some of the best (and delicious) natural remedies for insomnia.
3. Oatmeal Remedy for Insomnia
Oatmeal is one of the best natural remedies for insomnia. You can use it in 2 ways. The first one is the oatmeal broth remedy and the second, as an oatmeal tincture.
- Boil 1,250 l of water and when it starts to boil add 1 tbsp of oatmeal and then continue boiling for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 celery leaf in, 5 minutes before the boiling time is up.
- Strain and drink 1 cup of this oatmeal broth in the morning on an empty stomach, and the rest throughout the day.
- Keep the rest in the refrigerator.
This is a 3 week-long cure. Resume it periodically when needed.
To prepare the oat tincture grind oat grains (with husks on) and put them in a dark-colored recipient. Pour 70° alcohol until you’ve filled the bottle and leave to macerate for 8-10 days. Seal the bottle and shake or stir every day. Strain and keep the tincture at room temperature in dark-colored glass bottles. Take 40 drops of the oat tincture with a glass of water, in the evening before bedtime. One of the best natural remedies for insomnia.
4. Valerian Root, The Best Herb for Insomnia
Valerian root is best known for its soporific qualities. Basically, this herb is the best natural sleeping pill that nature has in store. For this remedy, you need to purchase some natural valerian roots. Prepare a special tea with it, as follows:
- Add 1 tbsp of dried valerian roots in 1 cup of hot water that has previously simmered for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Infuse for another 15 minutes after which the tea is ready to drink.
- Have 1 tsp of this tea three times a day and.
- Withing a week, the insomnia should be gone for good.
It’s that simple! This is one of the most powerful natural remedies for insomnia due to the amazing properties of the valerian roots to induce sleep and relaxation.
5. A Powerful Tea Remedy for Insomnia
- 50 g cowslip flowers
- 50 g lavender flowers
- 15 g hop cones
- 10 g St. John’s wort (whole plant)
- 5 g valerian root
Scald 1 full tsp of the herbal mix in 1 cup of water and let the tea steep for 3 minutes. Drink this wonderful right before bedtime, while still hot. Sweeten it with a little bit of honey if you wish. Other sleeping herbs that you can add to the mix are:
Linden tea is also helpful for insomnia. Mix equal parts linden and nettle and make a tea (1 tsp/cup). Have 3 cups of this tea per day. Complete this cure with hop cones tea, 3 cups every day. This is a long term treatment for insomnia. It’s best to develop a habit of drinking these herbal teas regularly. These herbs are some of the most effective natural remedies for insomnia.
You Can Find These Herbs Here
6. St. John’s Wort Tincture Remedy for Insomnia
Add 2 handfuls of freshly picked St. John’s wort flowers (harvested in full sun) in 1 l of fruits alcohol. Leave the bottle in direct sunlight or near a source of heat for the following 3 weeks. Have 10-15 drops of this tincture with 100 ml of water or tea in the evening, right before bedtime. You can also use dried flowers (100 g) if you don’t have any fresh ones available. St. John’s wort is one of the most powerful natural remedies for insomnia, due to its relaxation inducing properties.
7. Herbal Baths Remedy for Insomnia
This herbal bath is one of the best natural remedies for insomnia, and such an enjoyable one. For this herbal bath, you have to make a simple decoction with:
- 70 g linden flowers
- 50 g rose hip flowers
- 50 g poppy flowers
Boil the herbs in 5 l of water for 5-10 minutes, on medium to low heat. Pour the herbal tea in the bathwater, together with the herbs. Bathe for 10-15 minutes at 35° C temperature.
Take this bath in the evening, before nap time. First, take these baths once a week, then twice a week for 2 months. Another amazing herbal bath for insomnia is lavender, linden, basil, St. John’s wort, motherwort, marjoram, cowslip, and yellow sweet clover (100 gr of plants per 3 L of water). To make the remedy more powerful, make horsetail or St. John’s wort sitz baths twice a week. These herbs are some of the most effective natural remedies for insomnia.
You Can Find These Herbs Here
Earl Mindell’s Supplements for Insomnia
In addition to the natural remedies for insomnia, supplements are also important. In his book “Vitamin Bible“, Earl Mindell makes a few recommendations in what regards insomnia. Here are the best supplements for insomnia, according to the nutritionist:
- Calcium with chelated Magnesium capsules – 3/day, plus 3 more, half hour before each main meal.
- Vitamin B6 and B3 – 100 mg each.
- Tryptophan, a natural aminoacid that you can find in: 1 cup of milk and honey, 1 portion of turkey with raw onions, cottage cheese, hazelnuts, bananas, fish, dehydrated dates. Indulge in one of those meals/snacks around 18:00 at dinnertime.
- Multivitamin – 2/day, one in the morning and another one in the evening. Consult with your doctor, so you don’t overdose. When possible, take the vitamins between January and March, the first 10 days of these 3 months. Repeat the treatment between September and December, after asking for a physician’s advice.
You Can Find These Supplements Here
Best Diet for Insomnia
No matter what remedies for insomnia you will try, the changes it will work without adjusting your diet are reduced. Here are the most important diet recommendations if you suffer from insomnia:
Best Foods for Insomnia
- Drink 1 l of natural fresh juice daily, 2 cups apple juice and 2 cups white cabbage juice, or a mix of: carrots, apples, bananas, white cabbage and turnip.
- Raw, boiled or steamed vegetables.
- Diary such as yogurt, milk and cottage cheese.
- Onion and garlic are very good for insomnia, especially raw.
- Take 2 tsp of natural pollen daily. Keep the pollen under your tongue until it melts away. Pollen is one of the best natural remedies for insomnia.
- Have a lighter supper and as a recommendation, you can have a warm cup of milk and honey, turkey, fish, germinated grains, fruits, nuts, bananas and dates as well. All these foods contain a substance called tryptophan that induces sleep at in the brain.
- Red onion salad is also amazing before bedtime.
Worst Foods for Insomnia
- Avoid pork meat, deli, canned foods, beans, eggs and fermented cheese because they cause bloating and are hard to digest.
- Exclude from your diet paprika, cacao, chocolate, black tea, diuretic drinks, sodas, energy drinks, coffee and alcohol especially in the evening. These foods are excitants and won’t let you sleep at night.
3 Natural Tips for Insomnia
In addition to the natural remedies for insomnia above and the suplements, here are some tips on what you should do related to your lifestyle to make sure your insomnia episodes are gone for good and will never come back again.
1. Simple Exercise for Insomnia
Exercise more in the afternoon and a bit in the evening (50 minutes max). When it’s cold outside and you can’t go jogging, do a workout routine inside the house, such as cycling; do this 2-3 hours before bedtime. In the evening it’s great if you can jog a bit or exercise so you tire yourself a bit in order to sleep well.
However, don’t overtire yourself! If you don’t feel like working out in the evening, enjoy a long walk in a park, or somewhere with clean air. It’s very important that you load your lungs with fresh air and take deep breaths and clear your mind at the same time. Also, make sure you room is properly ventilated overnight, hence keep your window slightly open for fresh air to come in during the sleeping hours.
Read Also: 5 Best Natural Sleep Aids with Recipes
3. Getting Ready for Bed
Fill a small pillow case with wild hay flowers, and mostly yellow sweet clover and sleep on it or fill a small sachet with hop cones and place it on your pillow. Hay flowers induce sleep, which make them some of the best natural remedies for insomnia. Try to sleep at the same hour of the night in a disciplined and organized fashion. 22:00 is best, but don’t go to bed later than 23:00. If sleep doesn’t settle, read a book you like, in 30 minutes at most, you will fall asleep like a baby. Use a cotton bedding only!
Try something different! Sleep in reverse, with your head where your feet usually lie. This way, you force your body to get traversed by the gravitational flux in the opposite direction. Beware! Avoid laying your head towards East to allow the magnetic flow of the planet take its course.
Read Also: Natural Treatment for a Relaxing Sleep
Have a warm shower right before bedtime, not a hot one and head directly to bed. The mornings after insomnia episodes it’s recommended you do a warm shower finalized with a cold shower. Before sleep, wash your feet in cold water and friction them well afterwards. No watching TV movies and stressful news or surfing the web right before sleeping time. Learn to sleep without TV or internet. Choose reading instead, it will get you fast asleep in no time. A warm bath before bed is one of the best natural remedies for insomnia.
3. Positive Autosuggestion
Repeat in your mind: “I have a quiet and peaceful sleep”. Think about a blue or yellow colored object and the sleep will come. Or use Dr. Schultz technique by emptying your mind and then saying with you mind’s voice: “I am free, I am free….” about 10 times. Let sleep contain you with no fear!
Don’t forget to be at peace with yourself and cherish and love yourself just as you are, because the fact that you exist is the reason you are precious and worthy! These natural remedies for insomnia if you are persistent.
Read Also: Natural Remedy for a Peaceful Sleep
Hopefully, the natural remedies for insomnia along with these lifestyle changes for overcoming insomnia will be really helpful to you. Let us know which one of the natural remedies for insomnia here you’ve tried and if it worked for you too. We wish you a good night’s sleep, everyone!