For the past decade and a half, a lot of the bacteria that cause ear infections, such as otitis, have become resistant to antibiotics treatments. How have we come to this? Because of drug abuse and overuse. Although ENT doctors still prescribe antibiotics for otitis patients, their efficiency is really low.
This is why more ENTs, as well as researchers, have turned to natural remedies that have gained more and more popularity due to their efficiency. Before we get to the natural remedies for otitis, let’s see some of the risk factors in developing otitis.
Otitis Risk Factors
There are a few habits and environmental factors that prevent the healing of otitis, rhinitis and sinusitis, leading to their worsening and relapse. Amongst these factors that prevent healing, the most important are:
No matter if you’re an active or passive smoker, the deadly “cocktail” of tars, ammonium, carbon monoxide, and cadmium from smoke can be a real factor in blocking respiratory conditions in general. Inhaling the cigarette smoke will cause the irritation of mucous membranes, which will increase the inflammation, which favors the healing of the sinus infections and thus slowing down the healing of the damaged epithelial. From what we know, passive smoking is even worse for sinusitis, for example, than active smoking.
2. Excessive protection from bad weather
By protecting ourselves excessively from the weather conditions out there, we become like greenhouse plants, with a weakened immune system. If you constantly avoid going out in nature, fearing the cold, you will block the healing process because of the belief that you are more vulnerable in harsh weather conditions. So, you will become with self-induced suggestion. It is a good thing to protect yourself from cold when you have otitis, but whenever there is a warmer day, it is recommended that you go outside and give your body a breath and taste of nature, to help it recover completely.
3. Temperature variations and cold
These weather conditions suppress the immune system momentarily, favoring the relapse of otitis, which will be even more difficult to cure.
Otitis is a very common ear infection that can definitely be cured with the help of herbs and a few basic instructions. Here are a few natural remedies for otitis that you will love!
9 Best Natural Remedies for Otitis
1. Echinacea Otitis Remedy
This treatment is highly recommended for relapsing otitis or otitis that doesn’t respond to the prescribed treatment. It is recommended that you do 4-5 short cures with dry Echinacea extract. Have 800-1000 mg of dry Echinacea extract every day, for 4 days. Pause for 3 days and resume. This Echinacea remedy favors the production of antibodies that fight the bacteria that cause otitis and it also activates the immune system to fight back, hence reducing the inflammation. Hence, it’s one of the best natural remedies for otitis.
2. Grapefruit Seeds Remedy for Otitis
The glycerin extract from grapefruit seeds and skins are considered at the moment, the most powerful natural antibiotic and antiviral in the world. It can be administered to children from 3 years of age up as well as adults and elder people with no side effects. In case of otitis add 10-20 drops of grapefruit seeds extract 3-4 times per day, for a 12 days treatment. The grapefruit seed extract is one of the most amazing natural remedies for otitis.
3. Heartsease Cure for Otitis
You need to take the dry heartsease extract (Viola tricolor) made from the aerial parts of the plant. Have 200-400 mg. 3 times a day in 4-6 weeks treatments. It has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect on the ear and the upper respiratory tract. It is also a powerful anti-allergenic action, eliminating the allergic component of otitis, which happens frequently with frequent relapsing otitis patients. This herb is one of the most effective natural remedies for otitis.
4. Folk Remedy for Otitis with Raw Milk
Add two cups of raw milk from farmers into a small pot, add in 1 tablespoon of grated homemade natural soap, and a handful of coarse salt. Stir until everything is melted. Afterward, add into the pot 2-3 tablespoons of cornflour and bring to a boil and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. In the end, your mix needs to have the consistency of polenta.
Wrap the composition into a clean piece of gauze and when it has cooled down a bit, place your infected ear over the polenta until it cools down completely. Repeat 3 times per day, but make a new composition every time. This is a very old and one of the most amazing natural remedies for otitis that we know.
5. Healing Herbal Mix Remedy for Otitis
One of the best natural remedies for otitis is a fat oil (not volatile oil) made from herbal macerate from plants with antiseptic, antibiotic, and calming effects. This is how you prepare the fatty oil using healing herbs. A 2003 study on 250 children with otitis aimed to verify the effects of these 3 herbal oils combination.
The participants were split into 2 groups, one treated with these oils and the other with allopathic solutions based on amethocaine and phenazone. The study revealed that there is no significant difference between the 2 treatments, but compared to modern treatment, the herbal oils have way fewer side-effects such as skin rashes. Also, herbal medicine’s curative action doesn’t diminish with repetitive usage, compared to that of synthetic drugs.
- Add 200 ml of natural oil (olive or sunflower) and 40 grams of the plant of your choice (from the 3 herbs below).
- The plant needs to be dried and finely minced (only garlic can be used fresh).
- Close the jar tightly and keep it near a source of heat for the following 5-7 days.
- Strain the content using a fine cheesecloth and keep the oil in small dark-colored glass bottles.
- All you have to do is add a few drops of this warm oil into the infected ear using an eyedropper, 2-3 times per day until complete recovery.
These are the most effective healing herbs are St. John’s wort, plantain, mullein, calendula and garlic. These are amongst the best natural remedies for otitis.
6. St. John’s Wort Remedy for Otitis
Besides its calming effects, St. John’s wort herb has a powerful antibiotic effect. You can use the non-alcoholic St. John’s wort extract as a natural remedy for otitis.
7. Plantain Remedy for Otitis
Wash one plantain leaf, cut off the stem and roll it from the tip to the stem into a small roll. Cut just a bit from one tip of the roll and introduce it into the infected ear for three nights in a row. It is highly efficient, it doesn’t allow the otitis to relapse and we definitely recommend it to you!
8. Lamp Oil Otitis Remedy
Pour a few drops of heated lamp oil into the infected ear using a dropper. Clog the ear completely using a piece of cotton and sleep on the healthy ear overnight. Repeat the procedure 3-4 times per day and in a few days, otitis is usually long gone. You can use fat from bacon (unsmoked and unsalted) the same way as with lamp oil, or even onion oil. This is one of the simplest natural remedies for otitis.
9. Onion Oil Home Treatment for Otitis
This remedy is prepared as follows. Cut an onion in half and take an onion leaf from inside. Add a few sunflower oil drops over the leaf and place it on fire in a pan. When the oil has started simmering, take the pot off the fire and use the derived oil to pour into the ears. Make sure you don’t burn yourself, but at the same time use it warm. Simple and one of the most incredible natural remedies for otitis.
Read Also: Home Remedy for Itchy Ears
Best Essential Oil Remedies for Otitis
Volatile oils are also great natural remedies for otitis. You can use them combined with fat plant oils (olive, sesame, grapes, or seabuckthorn) in 1 to 10 or 1 to 1 ratios. The treatments begin with diluting the volatile oils so that they don’t cause any ear irritations. You can increase the proportion of the volatile oil gradually, only if you don’t experience any side-effects like rashes, acute itch, pain, or congestion.
Volatile oils are oftentimes much more efficient in treating otitis media and internal otitis than synthetic antibiotics. The reason is that they are rapidly absorbed into the blood flow, having a profound effect on the body. These essential oils are some of the best natural remedies for otitis, and you can use them individually or in combinations for enhanced effects.
1. Lavender Oil
This oil is calming for the ears and upper respiratory tract, as well as for the central nervous system, lavender oil is highly effective in viral otitis. This oil is also a powerful antiseptic, pain soother, and natural soporific. Lavender oil is administered once a day, in the evening. Drop the warmed up lavender oil into the ear and then place a piece of cotton in the ear so that it doesn’t come out of the ear.
2. Basil & Thyme Essential Oils
These 2 oils both have powerful antibiotic properties with a large action range. The volatile mint oil has an anti-inflammatory and decongestant effect. After internal administration, this oil continues its healing action over the ear and larynx for the following 1-3 hours. This happens because it is eliminated from the lungs with every exhale.
3. Essential Oils Mix Remedy
Make an equal parts mix of volatile lavender, mint, basil, and thyme oils. Put 5-7 drops of this mix into 1 tsp. of honey or on a small piece of bread. Have this 3-4 times per day, 1 hour after meals. The last dosage should be taken in the evening.
4. Eucalyptus Volatile Oil
This natural oil is known for reducing ear congestion and partially calming down the pain associated with high temperatures. This is why it is recommended for otitis with fever episodes. If the otitis hasn’t reached a chronic state, you can use warm natural oils as follows.
5. Common Mullein Oil
The oil extracted from its petals, commonly known as mullein oil, has the property of reducing congestion and attenuates the pain caused by otitis. It is also recommended for reducing balance problems caused by chronic otitis.
Best Homeopathic Reemdies for Otitis
These are the most frequently used homeopathic treatments for otitis that you can use alone or alongside the natural remedies for otitis above. However, if you want to follow any of these treatments, you need to consult with a homeopathy doctor for the exact dosages and dilutions of these plants.
1. Aconitum – It is recommended for patients that have more acute pains at the slightest pale of wind, for those who have high fever associated with it, and a reddish coloring of the inner ear pavilion.
2. Belladonna – It is mostly used with acute, violent pain or stingy like pains. Also, this homeopathy remedy is also great for agitated patients that have a hard time sleeping or resting. When otitis is associated with high fever, this healing herb works wonders.
3. Chamomile – When the pain feels like a stinging or burning giving you headaches, chamomile is a great choice. It is also recommended for patients that are restless due to pain.
4. Hepar Sulphuricum – It is indicated for otitis that gets more severe in cold environments and gets visibly milder in warmer places. This plant is also recommended for kids who present nervousness or anger episodes caused by otitis.
5. Lycopodium – It is very efficient when the pain worsens late in the evening or early in the mornings. It is recommended for patients who experience noise in the ear sensations.
6. Mercurius – This homeopathic remedy is recommended for those who modern medicine can do little or nothing for. We are talking about chronic otitis patients.
Read Also: Natural Remedy for Purulent Otitis Media
6 Simple Folk Remedies for Otitis DIY
Other simple and very old natural remedies for otitis are the following:
- Add 2-3 drops of fresh ramsons juice into the infected ear.
- Apply hot common centaury compresses on a daily basis until the otitis is gone.
- Chew 2g of propolis along the day.
- Add 1 drop of propolis (5%) in each ear right before you go to bed at night over the course of 2 weeks.
- Add 2-5 drops of fresh lemon juice in each ear and repeat 2-3 times per day.
- Mix 1/3 fresh garlic juice and 2/3 boiled and cooled water and ass 10 drops of this mix in both ears after you’ve washed them good. After 15 minutes, turn your head so that the garlic juice mix comes out. Repeat 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
- Garlic is undoubtedly a wide spectrum of natural antibiotic and antiseptic. Garlic is recommended for any type of infectious otitis.
Read Also: 3 Natural Treatments for Ear Pain
Hopefully, you’ve found here some simple and effective natural remedies for otitis that worked for you. Nature always has the best treatments for every condition. Stay healthy, naturally!