Looking for home remedies for depression? Keep on reading and see what are the best remedies for depression and how to follow them at home.
Depression is a condition of the mind that reflects on the body and ultimately on the behavior and lifestyle of the person depressed. The person suffering from depression feels so low that they cannot envision that there is a cure for their problem. Excessive thinking and focusing on the negative things will most definitely be the cause of depression. That is why the best cure for depression is to go within yourself and see what are the thought patterns that you perpetuate. And then go further and see what your fears are. It is important to bring out what you are pressing and try to find solutions.
Modern medicine will never help too much, because it only treats the symptoms and, moreover, can create dependency. We advise you to go to a good psychotherapist to help you open your soul and cure the suffering or the possible traumas of the past.
The First Signs of Depression
- Lack of interest in any type of activity
- Persistent melancholy
- Body weight fluctuations
There are more components to depression. One is emotional, one is mental and the third is physical. You can go about each of them as a good start, but you have to understand that one affects the other and that they are interconnected. For example, you can go for a body detoxification program.
While your body flushes all the toxins out and you normalize your body weight, you will feel better mentally as well. But you can go the other way around. Seeing a psychotherapist, for example, will help you mentally and emotionally to sort out all the negative thought patterns and to better understand yourself. When this is done, you will see fewer depression symptoms in your body as well. It’s up to you how you choose to cure depression; the good news is that there are numerous ways that can help you out!
Herbal Teas that Fight Depression
St. John’s wort, valerian, lavender, and linden teas are very effective and at the same time gentle with the body. Valerian and lavender tea are better drunk in the evening. Valerian is known for being a very powerful natural sleeping pill because it has this calming down effect. This is the reason why it’s best to drink these teas in the evening when you are ready to go to bed. These are some of the best home remedies for depression.
- Have St. John’s wort and linden tea first thing in the morning on an empty stomach instead of coffee or sugary drinks. If you can’t drink them plainly, sweeten them with honey instead of sugar. Sugar should be avoided at all costs, as well as caffeine and alcohol.
- Sleep with lavender sachets on your pillow will also help you have better sleep and get you out of that negative funk.
- Marjoram tea is also a natural sleeping pill that you can have up to 4 cups of tea per day (1 tsp plant/cup).
- Depurative tea blends are amazing with depression! Sage and artichoke teas are especially good with depression.
Now let’s get into the 10 best home remedies for depression.
10 Home Remedies for Depression
1. Herbal Blend for Depression
These herbs here make one of the most powerful home remedies for depression. For this remedy you need the following herbs:
- Valerian root, common hawthorn flowers, common motherwort, and linden tree flowers.
- Add one teaspoon of each plant to 750 ml boiling water and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
Separately, boil a hydrated Agaricus Milena mushroom (also known as Agaricus Blazei Murill mushroom or Brazilian Mushroom) in 1.5 liters of water for 45 minutes. Mix the obtained liquid with the herbal infusion and consume it throughout the day. This is a day’s worth quantity. These herbs together with the mushrooms make one of the best home remedies for depression.
2. Rhodiola Rosea Home Remedy for Depression
The roots of this plant contain a sap that has long been used to improve physical and mental resistance, relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression, and even increase mood. It is an adaptogen herb that helps normalize the body’s response to stress and maintain optimal homeostasis by balancing the immune system and endocrine hormones. Numerous scientific studies, including research studies conducted and compiled by Dr. Zakir Ramazanov, a former Soviet soldier, have shown that Rhodiola Rosea can:
- reduce recovery time after a workout
- improve attention and memory
- improve physical condition and physical performance
- increase psycho-motor skills
- mitigate states of depression and anxiety.
Read Also: 10 Best Home Remedies for Stress
Rhodiola is without any doubt one of the most powerful home remedies for depression.
3. St. John’s Wort Remedy for Depression
All research has shown improvement in the emotional state of depressed patients after internal treatment with St. John’s wort. The active principles of this plant gradually eliminate sadness, asthenia, and sleep disturbances, while elevating the psychological state and optimism. This herb is one of the best home remedies for depression. The most effective way of using this plant is as a powder (obtained by grinding the dried plant with the electric grinder).
- Take a teaspoon of St. John’s wort four times a day.
- Keep it for a few minutes under your tongue before swallowing it.
- You can also take St. John’s wort as a tincture.
Have a teaspoon of St. John’s wort tincture 3 times per day before meals. Dilute the tincture in 100 ml of water. In addition, have a fresh salad every day and 2 cups of lemon balm tea per day mixed with common motherwort. This is one of the most amazing home remedies for depression.
4. Nigari Salt Depression Remedy
Some women have cured post-natal depression with nigari or magnesium chloride.
- For this, you have to ½ tsp. of nigari on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Dilute it in 1 cup of water, so you can take it easier.
- After 20 minutes you can have breakfast.
- After 1 month of treatment, you can take it in the evening as well before dinner.
Nigari, or the magnesium content in it, elevates your mood, makes you happier, and boosts the immune system as well. Magnesium is now of the best home remedies for depression, stress, and anxiety.
Read Also: 5 Natural Remedies for Anxiety
There is no limit to taking this remedy, since magnesium doesn’t accumulate in the body, but is flushed out in a maximum of 24 hours. The best time to end this treatment is when you no longer feel depressed.
5. Ashwagandha Remedy for Depression
Also known as the „Indian ginseng”, Ashwagandha contains powerful adaptogenic compounds known to relieve symptoms related to anxiety and depression. It contains amino acids, including GABA, antioxidants, alkaloids, and tannins, and is one of the most powerful home remedies for depression.
More studies, including one published in the Phytomedicine magazine in 2000, found that Ashwagandha works the same or better than antidepressants to relieve anxiety and treat depression symptoms. Ashwagandha powder is used to strengthen the nervous system and prevent depression, stress, and irritability. Supplementing with this superfood is one of the best home remedies for depression.
6. Salt Water Remedy for Depression
Simple freshwater frictions are another efficient remedy for depression. Water washes off our soul’s burden and salt purifies the mind and the body. This is one of the most effective home remedies for depression with positive effects right on the spot.
- For the salt water, mix 1 tsp. of salt in ½ l of water until it dissolves.
- Use this water to run the temples of your head every morning.
7. Cinnamon Remedy Depression
Pour hot water over a cinnamon stick or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. Let it infuse well for 15 minutes and then drink it in small sips. You can also sweeten it with honey to taste better.
8. Common Centaury Tincture
Common centaury or common wormwood tinctures are great for somatic symptom depression, for lack of appetite. These tinctures help stimulate gastric juices, preparing the body to have food.
9. Valerian Herb Cure for Depression
Valerian is a plant with a strong anxiolytic and antidepressant effect that also improves sleep. Take a teaspoon of valerian root powder three times a day, for 30-60 days of treatment, with 7-10 days of pause. Store the valerian root powder in hermetically sealed dark glass jars in cold places for a maximum of 2 weeks. This simple herb is one of the most powerful home remedies for depression.
10. Camu Camu fights Depression
Camu Camu (Myrciaria dubia) is a plant native to the Amazon forest of Peru whose fruits have the highest known levels of natural vitamin C. In The Complete Guide to Health and Nutrition, Dr. Gary Null, a nutritionist, and researcher lists Camu Camu second place in a list of 19 plants that contain chemical compounds with antidepressant properties without any negative side effects. Camu Camu has been successfully used for panic attacks and ADHD as well, and it is one of the best home remedies for depression there is.
The Best Foods for Depression
In addition to the home remedies for depression above, you should also focus on eating better. There are some foods that effectively combat stress and which should be included in your daily diet if you suffer from depression or a low mood.
These foods are:
- Celery contains a series of compounds that decrease the concentration of stress hormones;
- Cabbage is a very good source of antioxidant vitamins that fight stress, such as vitamins A, C, and E;
- Brown rice contains slow-acting carbohydrates that trigger serotonin release in the body;
- Berries help relieve stress by increasing magnesium and vitamin C levels in the body;
- Sesame seeds reduce stress with their zinc-rich composition that causes serotonin production;
- Garlic contains a detoxifying substance called allicin that helps to wipe out depletion conditions, and helps to increase good mood;
- Raw sunflower seeds contain potassium, B12 vitamin complex (especially B6 and pantothenic acid), and zinc, which helps decrease stress;
- Asparagus contains many regenerating elements for the liver, kidneys, skin, ligaments, and bones all of which have positive effects on the body’s good functioning and stress resistance;
- Raw almonds are very rich in magnesium, which helps the metabolism of essential fatty acids. Alcohol consumption reduces tension, anxiety, irritability, and insomnia through magnesium intake;
- Seaweed – has an energizing effect on the liver and facilitates the elimination of toxins, thus lowering the level of stress in the body;
- Avocado – contains 14 minerals, all of which have an important role in regulating body functions.
The Best Smoothie for Depression
Orange and spinach contain significant amounts of folic acid, tryptophan, and vitamin B6. These substances help to restore the nervous system during episodes of mental stress and anxiety. They stimulate the neural function and have a tonic action on brain activity. The following fresh juice is the best and tastiest remedy for depression.
- Add 1 handful of spinach leaves, 1 peeled orange, and 1 tbsp of honey into a blender and blend.
- Add some water to thin the juice out.
- This simple juice drives out the slight signs of depression and enlivens your mood.
What to Do When You’re Feeling Depressed?
1. Get Out There
Stay out in the open, go for long walks outdoors, and stroll with friends. It can greatly benefit you to change your lifestyle for the better. Get more active and exercise daily if possible.
2. Focus on Health
Try to follow a healthy diet, have enough sleep, and think about the beautiful things in your life that you are grateful for. Have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh carrot and beetroot juices while avoiding meat and junk foods. Give up on sugar and caffeine that only accentuate anxiety and depression in the long run.
3. Time for Growth
Accompany yourself with the people who raise you up instead of pulling you down. Also, be brave enough to be on your own and get to know yourself truly and deeply. This is the perfect time to do so. From the experience of a good friend, I can tell you one thing that has helped her with depression. She engaged in volunteer work that forced her to leave the house.
Above all, she felt she mattered by helping people like her, so she continued to stay in touch with other people. It is important to not isolate yourself in the home or work but to try to fight to get out of this state. If people won’t do it for you, get a pet. This is not a joke.
4. Choose Not to Be Depressed
Do not let yourself be depressed and understand that this is just a phase you’re going through. It’s not how your life actually is and will be. Remember the good times you had this far, the long way you’ve come, and be grateful for everything in your life.
5. Meditation & Prayer
And, last but not least, do not forget the power of prayer, and being grateful for the positives in your life. In the case of depression, this is the most effective medicine of all!
Hopefully, you’ve found here a handful of helpful home remedies for depression and some healthy tips that will help you out. Remember that this is not who you actually are. Also, knowing that depression is just a phase that you’re going through that in the long run will help you grow even more. Try to see everything in a positive light and have faith that all is well and eventually will be. Here is a resourceful video that might help you out: