If you’re looking for a remedy for dandruff, continue reading. We have here 10 of the best remedies for dandruff to chose from.
Dandruff is one of the most unpleasant yet common hair and scalp problems out there. It is only natural for the superficial layer of the epidermis to break away and shed off regularly. In fact, we lose millions of skin cells every day to make room for new ones.
In This Article You Will Find:
- poor nutrition
- fat metabolism
- digestive problems
- nervous states
- improper functioning of the sebaceous glands
Dandruff appears on the dry or oily scalp and can manifest in two forms: a fatty form caused by the excessive secretion of the sebaceous glands and a dry dandruff, when the scaling is due to a scalp that is too dry.
In the latter case, the dandruff flakes fall off easily, without affecting the hairs.
To prevent dandruff, a rigorous hair and scalp routine is necessary through washing, brushing and massaging. Brushing the hair should be done gentle and with regularity.
Dry dandruff is most often encountered in people who have very think or curly hair. Dandruff can block the secretion of the sebaceous glands, suffocating the hair and thus leading to massive hair loss.
The best dandruff home remedies are based on Vitamin B found in yeast or bee pollen.
However, there are very many wonderful herbs and plants that treat dandruff naturally and we are about to share these simple home remedies with you right now. Let’s begin!
10 Best Dandruff Home Remedies
1. Vitamin B & Bee Pollen Remedy for Dandruff
Load yourself with Vitamin B is you want to put an end to your dandruff problem. One of the best natural sources of Vitamin B is fresh beer yeast. Yes, the one used to make bread. Include in your daily diet 40 g of fresh yeast in 3 reps. You can eat it before meals or afterwards, both work.
In addition, take some bee pollen with the yeast, but this time 20 g per day, divided in 3 parts. This is a powerful dandruff home remedy from inside out.
No matter the cause of your dandruff, oily Vitamin E is an amazing anti-dandruff home remedy. All you have to do is rub a few drops onto your scalp every night. Don’t rinse it off, and cover your head overnight with a scarf. Other oils that are known to have anti-dandruff properties are olive oil, tea tree oil as well as castor oil. You can find out how to use them if you continue reading.
2. Dandruff Remedy with Nettle
Rub your hair roots and your hair with a concoction made of nettle root. Here is how you prepare this marvelous tea.
- Boil 100 gr of nettle root in 1 l of water for 15 minutes.
- Allow it to cool off so that it’s not too hot for your scalp to bear.
- Use this home remedy for dandruff daily to make it more effective.
- You can stop when the dandruff problem is over.
Another way to use nettle to get rid of dandruff is this remedy. Add one handful of fresh nettle leaves in 1 l of natural vinegar and boil for 15 minutes. Strain this decoction and use it to pad locally on the scalp. Using a cotton pad is the best way to apply this on your scalp.
You can get the same wonderful result if you use nettle tea of nettle tincture to rub the roots of your hair. The nettle tincture can be easily prepared at home like so.
- First, you need to thoroughly was the nettle root with a brush so all the dirt is washed away.
- Fill up a bottle with the finely ground nettle root and then pour 40% ABV fruits or grain alcohol.
- You may use schnapps or brandy for this.
- Leave the bottle to stay in a warm place for the following 14 days and your nettle tincture is ready.
This home remedy for dandruff is equally effective for hair loss or strengthening thin hair.
3. Horsetail Home Remedy for Dandruff
Another very effective 100% natural treatment for dandruff is based on horsetail infusion.
- All you have to do is wash your hair thoroughly with horsetail infusion and then massage in extra-virgin cold pressed olive oil.
It’s important that the olive oil is very good quality. Perform this procedure daily and you will see that the dandruff problem will be over soon. This remedy has been recommended by famous Austrian herbalist Maria Treben in her book “Health Through God’s Pharmacy”.
To make this remedy even more powerful, follow a cure of horsetail tea. Horsetail tea helps heal the causes of dandruff from inside out. And it’s easy to prepare.
- Have 3 cups of this tea daily.
- Simply add 2 tsp. of horsetail into 250 ml of water.
- Boil for 5 minutes and it’s ready to drink.
4. Herbal Decoction Remedy for Dandruff
The following herbal decoctions have been used to treat dandruff naturally with great success. All you have to do is to 2 tsp or tbsp of one of the following herbs in 250 ml of hot water, boil for 15 minutes and cover for the following 10. Strain the decoction and use it to for daily scalp and hair rubs in 30 days cures. Here are the 8 powerful herbs that you can use for this home remedy:
- Chestnut: 2 tbsp. minced chestnut leaves
- Ash tree: 2 tbsp. ground ash leaves
- Sessile: 2 tbsp. ground sessile bark/ 500 ml water
- Walnut: 2 tbsp. minced walnut leaves (Beware: walnut leaves act as natural hair dye and it can darken the color of your hair)
- White willow: 2 tbsp. minced white willow bark/ 500 ml water (this is also a great natural hair tonic)
- Hop cones: 1 tsp. ground hop cones
- Common ivy: 2 tbsp. minced common ivy leaves
- Lungwort: 2 tsp. ground lungwort leaves
- Sweet Iris: 2 tsp. ground plant/ 5 minutes (you may use the plant’s root as well)
5. Herbal Anti-Dandruff Home Remedies
The following easy to prepare at home teas are amazing dandruff home remedies that you can try. All you have to do for this treatment is to pour 250 ml of hot water over the plant and cover for 15 minutes and you tea is ready. Strain it and use it for daily local washes and padding the scalp. Here are the herbs and the exact quantities you need to use for this remedy:
- Birch: 1 tsp. minced birch leaves
- European Wild Ginger: 2 tsp. minced plant
- Rosemary: 1 tsp. minced plant
- Fenugreek: 1 tsp. ground seeds
- Rose: 1 tsp. ground rose petals
- Celery: 1 tsp. minced plant
- Tansy: 1 tsp. minced plant
- Flower-of-an-hour: 1 tsp. minced plant
- Common Toadflax: 2 tsp. minced plant/ 10 minutes
- Thyme: 2 tsp. minced plant/ 10 minutes
- Horse-heal: 2 tsp. minced plant/ 10 minutes
- Houndstongue: 2 tsp. minced plant/ 10 minutes
6. Birch, Burdock & Nettle Mix Dandruff Treatment
Add 1 tbsp. of minced birch leaves, burdock root and nettle leaves to 500 ml of water and boil for 20 minutes. Strain the decoction and use it for daily scalp rubs for the following 3-4 weeks. Birch leaves are known to fight scalp irritation and strengthen the hair roots. You can make other herbal combinations as well, using the wonderful plants listed above, depending on what you have available at hand or at your local natural store.
7. Burdock Root Rub Dandruff Remedy
Macerate 4 tsp. of ground burdock root in 500 ml of cold water for 30 minutes. When the time is up, strain the macerate and use it for daily scalp frictions for the following 3-4 weeks. Natural burdock balm made with pork lard and burdock root juice is just as good. Simply rub the ointment on the scalp until the dandruff problem is gone.
8. Juniper Anti-Dandruff Cure
Juniper tincture is also an amazing anti-dandruff remedy. Use it for daily scalp rubs to get rid of dandruff and strengthen the roots of your hair.
9. Treat Dandruff with Lemon Rinse
- Add 1 tsp. of lemon juice per every 200 ml of warm water.
- Use it to rinse your hair after washing it with one of the above infusions or teas.
10. Castor Oil Remedy for Dandruff
Rub castor oil onto the scalp, massaging it gently. Cover your head for the next 3 hours with cling foil and a towel and wash it off afterwards with warm water and sulfur soap. You can also use the lemon water recipe above to rinse the oil off. Olive oil is also amazing for dandruff. You can even add a few lavender drops into it and make it smell pretty.
3 Natural Treatments for Seborrheic Dermatitis
Natural Remedy for Itchy Scalp
3 Natural Remedies for Scalp Mycosis
2 Amazing Homemade Masks for Dandruff
Natural DIY Hair Mask for Dandruff with Tea Tree
This mask for dandruff is amazing and quite easy to make. Here is the full recipe.
- Mix 4-5 tbsp. of green clay powder with a tiny bit of lukewarm water.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tbsp. sweet almonds oil and 10 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Mix the composition well.
Tea tree oil is a key ingredient for anti-dandruff shampoos.
- Spread the mask evenly on the scalp and wrap your head with cling foil to allow the mask to take its action.
- Leave it in for 15 minutes, and then wash it off with a natural shampoo, or the infusions above.
- Apply this simple dandruff mask twice a month, or whenever you feel that the situation is getting out of control.
Homemade Dandruff Mask with Olive Oil
Another simple dandruff mask that you can make is this one that you can make yourself at home.
- Mix together very well 2 tbsp. of apple vinegar with the juice of one lemon, 2 tbsp. distilled water and another 2 of olive oil.
- Gently massage it in your scalp, leave it in for 20 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Then use a natural delicate children’s shampoo to wash the oils off.
- Before using the shampoo, rinse the hair well with warm water.
These are the best dandruff home remedies that you can make yourself at home, and 2 simple anti-dandruff masks that actually work. We hope you’ve found what you were looking for on our site and leave a comment if you’ve used one of these home remedies yourself.