If you are looking for simple and effective natural treatments for headache, continue reading this article and find out what they are. But first.
Headaches can affect any part of the head, on the sides or only occasionally, in a single area. They are of two types, primary when they are not caused by another condition, and secondary when they appear as a symptom of another health problem. Primary headaches occur due to hyperactivity of the brain or as a result of hypersensitivity to pain in the blood vessels, muscles, and nerves of the head or neck. Secondary headaches, by comparison, occur when other health problems stimulate pain-sensitive nerves in the head. There are a number of secondary factors that could lead to headaches.
Before we get into the amazing natural treatments for headache here, let’s see the most common headache causes.
Most Common Causes for Headaches
- a blow to the head
- polluted air or the presence of irritating substances in the air
- carbon monoxide poisoning
- too high/low temperatures
- excessive use of pain medications
- incorrect lighting – too much or too little light can cause headaches
- panic attacks
- dental problems
- excessive consumption of coffee or smoking
- ear infections
- incorrect posture – can lead to both headaches and toothaches (can be corrected by adopting a correct posture and possibly wearing heel cushions or inserts)
- high blood pressure
- pressure from wearing too tight a helmet
- blood clots
- brain tumors
Usually, headaches go away on their own, but if you notice a different manifestation of it, which worsens even if you are taking medication or if other symptoms occur, it is good to consult a doctor. If you experience a headache that doesn’t seem to stop, here you have 10+ amazing natural treatments for headache to choose from and heal pain away naturally. Let’s get into the remedies.
10+ Natural Treatments for Headache
1. Mint & ACV Natural Treatments for Headache
Mint powder maceration is one of the most powerful natural treatments for headache. For this, prepare a maceration using 4-5 tablespoons of powdered mint leaves and a cup of high-quality apple vinegar. Mix the two together and leave to stay like that for 7 days, but make sure to stir every day at least twice a day. Strain the maceration and store it into seal tight small dark glass bottles. Put the bottles in a safe place and anytime you suffer from headaches use this natural remedy.
If you wish to use it right away, drizzle some of the tincture onto a piece of cheesecloth and apply it on the forehead, wherever you feel the pain is more intense. Pad the area with the gauze or just leave it to stay on the forehead while you totally relax (listening to ASMR could be an idea).
This is one of the best natural treatments for headache, no matter how severe the pain because mint has been considered for ages a natural pain-killer and a great adjutant for the entire nervous system.
You Can Find Mint Powder Here
2. Healing Hot Baths for Headache
Pour hot water in the bathtub, as hot as you can bear, and get in. Let the water fill the bathtub until it reaches your kidney levels at most. Bathe between 10-20 minutes, as much as you can bear. Make sure the water doesn’t turn cold, by maintaining pouring in more hot temperature. When you start sweating abundantly it’s the sign that this remedy works. Attention! Hot baths aren’t recommended for those suffering from heart conditions.
Take hot feet baths for about 20 minutes. Very important! The water level should reach your ankles and the temperature needs to remain the same, so whenever it turns cold, replace it with hot water again. After this bath, headaches usually vanish, which makes it one of the best natural treatments for headache.
3. Wild Chestnut Extract Remedy for Headache
Get 15-20 wild chestnuts (Aesculus hippocastanum), peel off their brown skin, and grind the cores. Put the ground chestnuts into a larger bottle and pour 1/2 L of 90-95° alcohol over them. Leave the chestnuts to macerate for the next 15 days in a dark place. Shake the bottle well from time to time. Let the content clear up and then you’re ready to use it. Friction the painful areas with 50 ml of this extract every evening for the next 10 days. Then put on a wool cap and you’re ready for bed. This is one of the most powerful natural treatments for headaches.
4. Horsetail Treatment for Headache
This is one of the most effective natural treatments for headaches. Add 2 handfuls of horsetail into a sieve over a pot with boiling water. When the plant has turned hot and soft, wrap it in a linen gauze and apply it as a compress on the painful area. Wrap a thick comforter over the compress and keep it on for as much as possible, ideally overnight.
5. Cabbage Leaves Remedy for Headaches
Cabbage leaf poultice is one of the oldest natural treatments for headache. For this, crush a cabbage leaf and apply it on the area that hurts. To crush the cabbage leaves you can use a rolling-pin. You may as well use plantain or greater burdock leaves instead of cabbage leaves. Always use a white colored gauze or cheesecloth to tie the leaves in place.
Read Also: 5 Natural Remedies for Migraines
6. Potato Poultice Remedy for Headache
Take a larger potato, wash it well and cut it into 3-4 mm thick slices. Apply the potato slices on your forehead and on your temples. Tie them well in place with a handkerchief. Replace them with new potato slices every few hours. In case of strong headaches, keep the slices overnight. Such as simple, yet one of the top natural treatments for headache.
7. Stems Cataplasm for Headaches
Gather the stems from tomatoes, eggplants and potatoes in late autumn. Dry them and then cut them as finely as possible. Sprinkle the plants with hot water, spread them in a thick layer (1-2 cm) on a sheet of gauze and leave them to cool off. Place a dry piece of gauze over the plants and now you have your cataplasm ready. Tie the cataplasm across your forehead and around your head and keep it on as longer as possible. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for headache for rheumatism as well.
8. Simple Vinegar Remedy for Headaches
If your headache is caused by an injury to the head, immediately prepare a compress with vinegar and the pain will go away. In case your headache is caused by cold or flu, here is a remedy for you. Mix 2 grated potatoes with 1 tbsp. of vinegar. Spread the mash on a piece of gauze and apply it on the forehead. Renew the compress every 2-3 hours. This is the simplest yet one of the most effective natural treatments for headaches.
9. Powerful Herbal Tea for Headaches
Drink unsweetened basil tea throughout the day instead of water and you’ll feel the headache is gone. The following herbal tea is also amazing for headaches. Add a pinch of yarrow and a tsp of nettle in 200 ml of hot water and steep for 5 minutes. Strain the tea and then add 1 tsp of Swedish bitter in it. Drink 1 cup of this tea in the morning and another one in the evening. Undoubtedly one of the best natural treatments for headaches.
You Can Find These Herbs Here
10. Mustard Seeds Bath Remedy for Headaches
Add 2 tsp of mustard seeds in a basin filled with hot water, then get your feet in the basin. The higher the water temperature, the better, but at the same time make sure it’s bearable as well. Rub your feet on the mustard seeds on the bottom for the next 5-10 minutes and that’s it. As simple as it sounds, this is one of the most powerful natural treatments for headache.
Simple Home Remedies for Headaches
- Have 2-3 slices of garlic every day.
- Take 2-3 cold showers on the abdominal area.
- Stick cotton swabs soaked in beetroot juice into your nose or ears.
- Hold your left palm on the back of your neck and the right one on the celiac plexus for 10-15 minutes.
- Rub your cheek with onion or garlic, especially the forehead, ears, and nose areas.
- Soak a handkerchief in fresh whey and apply it on the forehead.
- Cut one onion finely and smell it for as long as possible; the more tears it will bring to your eyes, the faster the headache will go away.
- Boil 1 cup of whole-grain wheat in 5 cups of water, until the water drops down to approx. 1 cup. Leave the cup covered overnight and then drink the liquid first thing the next morning. Do this once a week until you feel better. You can eat the remaining wheat as is, or mixed with honey. This is one of the simplest yet most effective natural treatments for headache.
10 Natural Treatments for Headaches (Acute)
- Drink 1 cup of hot water.
- Eat 2 garlic cloves.
- Apply a cabbage leaf on your forehead.
- Use dill oil to anoint your forehead with.
- If your headache is caused by stress, pet a cat.
- If the pain lingers more than expected, drink 2 tbsp of fresh potato juice, 30 minutes before mealtime for the following 3-4 weeks.
- Apply a lemon slice on your temples for 15 minutes. You can do the same with onion slices.
- In case of acute headache, it’s enough to rub/massage your ears with your palms. This helps with toothache as well.
- Press your head on a glass window, or a tree (oak; birch) to eliminate static electricity.
- Apply lilac leaves on the painful areas.
3 Home Remedies for Chronic Headache
Onion seeds. Grind onion seeds until you obtain 20 gr of powder. Mix the powder with 200 ml wine vinegar and leave them to macerate for the next 2-3 days. Shake the bottle periodically. Keep in a cool place. Whenever you have headaches, add a few drops of this macerate in your nostrils. This is one of the best natural treatments for headache.
Mums remedy. Place a bowl with hot water and 8-10 floating mums (Chrysanthemums) next to your bed, a few moments before bedtime. Eating an orange also helps.
Herbal sachet. Fill a small bag with dried thyme, wormwood, mint, geranium, and hop flowers, and place it under your pillow while you sleep. You can find all these herbs below.
Home Remedy for Headache Caused by Stomach Issues
If the headaches are caused by unsolved stomach or bile issues there is a simple and effective natural remedy for this. This is a 30 days cure and here is how to make it at home.
- Make tea with equal parts of white lilac flowers and wormwood.
- Add 1 tsp of this mix per cup of water.
- Drink this cup throughout the day and your headache will vanish.
Home Remedy for Headache Caused by High Blood Pressure
If your headache is caused by high blood pressure, here is what you can try. Make a tea with 7-8 finely chopped mulberry tree branches. Boil them in 1 l of water for 10 minutes and then leave to infuse covered for 1 hour. Drink 3 cups per day instead of water for the next 2-3 months. This is one of the most powerful natural treatments for headache caused by high blood pressure. You can find mulberry tree tea below.
Home Remedy for Headache Caused by Intracranial Hypertension (IH)
If the headaches that you suffer from are caused by intracranial hypertension (HI), then the best advice we can give you is to start a 1-month grapes juice cure.
- On the first few days drink 1 cup of fresh grape juice three times a day.
- Then increase the dose to 2 cups three times a day until you drink 3 l of grapes juice a day (this is the maximum).
- Decrease the quantity back down.
While doing this grapes juice cure avoid eating fatty foods, meat, and drinking cow’s milk or alcohol. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for headache caused by IH.
Massage & Remedy for Back of the Neck Pain
Massage and friction the areas right down to your shoulders. Target especially the back of your ears area for 10-15 minutes when experiencing ache. Have a few valerian drops and then take a hot bath with 1 cup of sea salt added in or pine extract.
Read Also: 14 Natural Painkillers for Every Pain
We sure hope these 10+ amazing natural treatments for headache will really work for you as they did for so many others. Let us know what home remedies has helped you heal headaches in the comment section below. Stay healthy, naturally!