Want to discover some of the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt? Continue reading and find out what they are.
Ancient Egypt healers had knowledge of natural remedies they made simple and effective medicines using only natural ingredients. For instance, as described in the Papyrus Ebers, one of the oldest medical documents in the world, many ancient Egyptian remedies used spices, honey, milk, and wine. The ancient Egyptian healers also used therapeutic massage to cure a number of ailments, reduce tension, and relax the muscles. They were the first civilization to identify and study the benefits of essential oils. Without further ado, let’s see what are the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt.
6 Most Popular Natural Remedies from Ancient Egypt
- Honey – one of the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt, honey was especially used to prevent and treat infections, open wounds were covered with honey, due to its strong antiseptic properties. During the construction of the pyramids, the workers often suffered from cuts, wounds, and scratches, which they anointed with honey to prevent deadly infections. Honey was also used to treat skin irritations and rashes. To treat asthma, ancient Egyptian doctors combined milk with honey. This special remedy reduces inflammation of the airways, and fluidizes the secretions, helping the sick to breathe more easily.
- Wine – ancient Egyptian healers noticed that wine has antiseptic properties, so they used it to wash open wounds. They also prepared a “tonic wine” by mixing it with aromatic herbs, such as rosemary and coriander, and obtained a drink that was good for digestion and strengthening health in general.
- Dill – was one of the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt used to calm dyspepsia or an “upset” stomach, but also for bloating, constipation, and water retention. For this, they either ate fresh dill or make dill tea.
- Garlic – was used to treat asthma and other respiratory ailments, but also as a general health tonic. Those who worked hard at the pyramids were given garlic daily, to cope with the huge effort and not get sick. One of the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt, called antica, uses garlic and lemons, and you can find the recipe here.
- Onion – was considered a protector of health, and was one of the most popular natural remedies used for heart disease. The Egyptians believed the circular shape of the onion and its layers are a representation of “immortality”.
- Fenugreek seeds – one of the oldest medicinal plants in ancient Egypt, fenugreek was used to relieve menstrual disorders, labor pains, and increase milk production in nursing women (usually after three days of use, mothers will notice an increase in milk production). Also, fenugreek is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral, reducing secretions, which is why the ancient Egyptians used it to treat respiratory conditions. Fenugreek was also considered a cure for impotence in men. Fenugreek seed powder can be used to make tea or taken as such.
Did you know that the drawings that decorated the ancient Egypt temples, the sarcophagi, as well as the inscriptions on the papyri provide details of the life of the ancient Egyptians, including the ways in which they treated their illnesses? Indeed. Some of them were elaborated medical texts, we are yet to decipher. Now that you know what are the most popular natural remedies from ancient Egypt, please share this article so more people can use this information. Stay healthy, just like the Egyptians.
Share on Pinterest ❤️