Want to learn about the health benefits of watermelon? Continue reading this article and find out how to use watermelon as medicine. But first.
Watermelons are deemed members of the forgotten medicine club, which is too bad because their healing properties are not negligible. Energizing and purifying, watermelons deserve the nickname “body mops“, as they flood our system with impressive amounts of fluids, which wash away accumulated toxins like a flood storm. In addition, due to the fact that we always eat them fresh, watermelons have that amazing detox force of living foods. Before we get to the health benefits of watermelon, let’s talk a bit about the watermelon types, history, and the watermelon diet for weight loss and healing.
The Origins of Watermelon
Watermelons have originated in the semi-desert areas of South Africa, where certain wild varieties of watermelons still grow. For the indigenous population, the red core of the watermelon has been a savior food countless times during periods of severe drought and famine. Thus, watermelon cultivation started 4,000 years ago, with the first plantations along the Nile Valley. In antiquity, watermelon was also introduced in Europe, where it is cultivated today on a large scale, especially in warmer areas, and on sandy grounds, where it thrives.
Two Most Common Watermelon Types
Until half a decade ago, the most widespread watermelon variety had a dark green color shell and was almost perfectly round. This watermelon type is called Sugar baby. Recently, this watermelon variety was replaced by the light green shell with stripes, which is more productive, way bigger in size, and more robust. We’re talking about the Crimson sweet variety. The difference between the Sugar baby and the Crimson sweet is that the first is more sugary and usually sweeter, but the latter is more crunchy, has a better bite, and is also very sweet. I personally prefer the Crimson sweet variety.
Seedless watermelons are GMOs, and we do not recommend then for eating, nor in remedies.
Health Benefits of Watermelon
Watermelons (Citrullis lanatus) contain around 95% water, and the rest 5% amazing healing substances. Namely, some of the most powerful antioxidants, six vitamins (vitamin C, A, B1, B5, B6, and B7), and at least four minerals (potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese) that are essential for the body’s good functioning. If you’ve wondered where the coral red color of the watermelon comes from, it actually comes from a powerful blend of four natural antioxidants with extraordinary therapeutic properties. They are:
- lycopene the main red pigment has remarkable antioxidant, antitumor, and immune regulating effects;
- beta-carotene the yellow pigment has amazing healing properties for the skin and eyes;
- zeaxanthin is another yellow pigment that protects the eyes from sunlight damage;
- lutein the orange pigment is an elixir for the cardiovascular system.
Due to its alkalizing effects, watermelon is also an anti-inflammatory food, ideal for all health conditions caused by toxicity buildup, which is basically all medical conditions. In addition, watermelon is one of the most elegant ways to “supply” the body with fluids and electrolytes. In short, the main health benefits of watermelon are:
- kidney cleanse
- flush excess uric acid/gout
- relieve joint pain/RA
- anticancer properties
- clear the skin
- protect the heart
- increase fertility
- general body detox
- fights constipation
- weight loss
- boost immunity
To enjoy the health benefits of watermelon, the minimum intake recommended by nutritionists is 350 grams per day.
It would take us pages to describe all the substances of therapeutic value and the health benefits of watermelon, but more importantly, here is how to use the watermelon diet for health issues.
The Watermelon Diet for Weight Loss & Detox
Although it has a sweet, very pleasant taste, watermelon is one of the best foods to lose extra pounds. It is very low in calories and rich in fiber that fills the stomach for longer, gives the sensation of satiety, and, in addition, has a laxative effect. Watermelon is truly a weight-loss food we can be eaten without restrictions and fear of gaining weight.
Watermelon Diet Rules
- Eat 1-2 kg of well-ripe and sweet watermelon over the course of one day.
- Have watermelon 30 minutes before the main meals. This will drastically reduce the amount of food you eat, thus acting as a natural and very pleasing appetite reducer.
- For maximum efficiency, follow the watermelon diet for at least 3 weeks.
- Weight loss can be greatly accelerated by taking supplements that increase fat burn, (such as green coffee extract) or decrease appetite (eg. garcinia extract).
- Tip! Do not avoid the greener part on the rind because although it is not very tasty, it compensates for its therapeutic value.
Watermelon is very rich in water and low in calories, which makes it safe to be eaten in large quantities daily, without any health threats or gaining weight. On the contrary, the watermelon diet is an exceptional way to detox the body and lose extra pounds.
9 Watermelon Health Benefits – How Much Watermelon to Eat
1. Kidney Cleanse
The biological water filtered through the roots of the watermelon plant and enriched with the minerals and enzymes that the watermelon contains, together with the natural diuretics, anti-inflammatory, and immune-stimulating substances it contains, makes this delicious fruit one of the most complete natural remedies for most kidney conditions. Here is how much watermelon to eat for the most common kidney problems.
- Kidney stones – a minimum of 2 kg of watermelon per day is recommended, alongside herbal teas. Three days before starting the watermelon diet and in the last three days of the diet, use herbs that break the kidney stones to help eliminate them: birch leaf, cowberry leaf, and juniper berries. If you also use herbs, 1-2 hours after eating the watermelon, keep a bottle of very hot water on the kidney area.
- Recurrent UTIs (cystitis, nephritis, pyelitis, pyelonephritis)- 1-1.5 kg of watermelon in one sitting a day over the course of two weeks is recommended alongside your treatment. Especially immediately after ingesting the watermelon avoid cold and drafts in the pelvic area.
2. Skin Detox
The impressive amounts of water and diuretics in watermelons make this summer fruit one of the best natural remedies for dermatological diseases. After the watermelon cure, the skin clears out as it flushes out toxins faster than any other organ in the body. Plus, it gains natural shine, youthfulness, and elasticity. Here is how to follow the watermelon diet to heal skin conditions.
- Psoriasis, skin rashes, & other skin issues caused by high body toxicity – minimum 1/2 kg of watermelon/day over the course of at least 4 weeks, alongside a predominantly plant-based diet. To boost the healing process, take three teaspoons of heartsease powder (Viola tricolor) with a little water three times a day on an empty stomach.
- Acne & infectious skin conditions – minimum 1/2 kg of watermelon/day over the course of at least 2 weeks, alongside a predominantly plant-based alkaline diet; cut out refined foods (processed sugar, artificial sweeteners, junk food, additives). To support healing, supplement with immune-boosting products such as olive leaf extract or healing mushrooms.
3. Joint Pain
The watermelon diet is a powerful detox with amazing benefits for joints, that are protected and even healed as a consequence of detoxification. Due to its anti-inflammatory effects on the joints, the watermelon diet is effective in arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as in osteoarthritis. Joint problems caused by gout are also alleviated or even cured following the watermelon cure, as this delicious fruit strongly flushes the excess uric acid in the tissues and helps to eliminate them in the urine. In addition, it helps reduce gout attacks, until full healing, and supports the mobility of the affected joints.
- Rheumatic pain (RA, rheumatism, osteoarthritis) – a minimum of 1 kg of watermelon every day, for 12-20 days is recommended for its anti-inflammatory effects on the joints.
- Gout – have 2 kilograms of watermelon daily, for a period of at least 20 days.
4. General Body Detox
Of all the natural treatments, the watermelon diet has the strongest purging effect, flushing out toxins and metabolic waste due to its strong diuretic properties. Hence, watermelon is great for general detox and is recommended especially if you’re following an unhealthy diet, if you are a smoker and want to detox, and even for purging heavy metals. For this, you should have at least 2 kg of watermelon a day for 20 days minimum.
- Poor diet – helps eliminate toxic food additives, including nitrates, nitrites, benzoates, etc.
- Smoking – helps eliminate toxic smoke substances and its antioxidants (lycopene, zeaxanthin, vitamin C) inhibit the carcinogenic effect of tar.
- Heavy metals – alongside the watermelon diet, supplement with zeolite (for lead, cadmium, and mercury poisoning), and with zinc (for aluminum poisoning).
Consume 1-2 kg of watermelon, every morning, on an empty stomach, without eating anything for at least 4 hours. Start your first meal with four tablespoons of wheat bran soaked in water and possibly sweetened with honey. Water and dietary fiber, ie the indigestible edible substances in the composition of melons, act on the large intestine like a piston, pushing all the residue out. The natural sugars in watermelon, along with soluble fibers, support healthy gut flora and can even, treat gastrointestinal candida.
6. Cancer Prevention
Lycopene from watermelon is considered one of the most powerful antioxidants for the prevention of cancer. Several studies have shown that other watermelon pigments (especially lutein and zeaxanthin) protect healthy cells from mutations and slow down or block the evolution of certain forms of cancer, such as lung, prostate, ovarian, gastric, testicular, etc.
- Adjuvant in prostate cancer – follow a long-term cure with watermelon, while following a healing, supportive diet and supplementing with antitumor supplements such as astragalus or medicinal mushrooms.
7. Supports The Heart
The dietary fiber in watermelon lowers triglycerides and blood cholesterol. Then, the vitamins and pigments oxidate excess cholesterol and triglycerides, thus preventing the formation of atheroma plaques on the walls of the arteries and conditions such as atherosclerosis, cardiac ischemia, and arteritis obliterans. Moreover, watermelon contains large amounts of potassium, which regulates heart rate and helps keep blood pressure within normal limits. The intake of water and depurative substances in watermelon also helps to eliminate excess sodium from the body, thus lowering blood pressure. To enjoy these health benefits of watermelon, eat a minimum of 1 kg of watermelon per day over the course of 4 weeks.
8. Reproductive Health
Several substances in watermelon are a very good tonic for the reproductive organs, in both women and men. Lycopene supports ovulation and prevents or improves many of the conditions that cause female infertility, such as endometriosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, and ovarian failure. In men, lycopene together with a very strong amino acid called citrulline, supports the process of sperm formation, helping to increase sperm count and motility. To boost fertility, the watermelon diet should be followed for as long as possible, alongside a healthy diet, that excludes foods that disrupt hormonal balance, such as meat, alcohol, and synthetic food additives.
9. Boost Natural Immunity
Only one kilogram of watermelon provides about 160% of the vitamin C requirement for an adult.
If you are vitamin C or want a natural immunity boost, eat at least one kilogram of watermelon a day for two weeks. This natural vitamin C “overdose“, alongside the high amounts of lycopene in watermelon, makes the perfect remedy for allergies, asthma, respiratory viruses, and other symptoms such as fever and inflammation in general, and can even prevent cancer.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Seeds
Watermelon seeds are an amazing natural medicine for gallstones. Spread the watermelon seeds on a piece of paper and let them dry naturally. Use a coffee machine to turn the seeds into a fine powder. Have a teaspoon of this powder in a tablespoon of olive oil first thing in the morning, for 10 days straight. Then lay in bed on your right side for 10 minutes. Continue this treatment for 3 months, 10 days out of a month. For instance, the first ten days out of every month, then pause for the rest of the month and resume the next month for the first 10 days, pause and resume once again for the third month consecutively.
If you’ve wondered about the health benefits of watermelon seeds, let me tell you, they work for gallstones, especially if you exclude junk foods, fried foods, fats, alcohol, and coffee while on this treatment.
Watermelon Side Effects
Watermelon is generally very well tolerated by the body and has no side effects. If you suffer from fermentation colitis, acute or chronic diarrhea, or gastritis, start eating small amounts of watermelon the first few days, so you can see how it makes you feel. If your symptoms exacerbate, please stop the watermelon diet. If you have difficult digestion, do not combine watermelon with heavy foods like fried foods, steaks, etc., or protein-rich foods (eggs, meat) at the same meal, as it can cause indigestion.
Read Also: 7 Health Benefits of Citrus Fruits Juice
If you’ve enjoyed learning about the health benefits of watermelon and the watermelon diet, please share this article so more people can use this information. Summer is here, so load up on watermelon, go forest bathing, and enjoy the warm sun. Stay healthy, naturally!
Share on Pinterest 🍉