Looking for a treatment for stye? Keep on reading.
Stye occurs when a sebaceous gland around the eyelid gets infected that at the beginning looks like a small red swallow that grows bigger and it usually lasts up to one week.
If one week has passed and the stye around your eye is still there, then you probably have chalazion, an infection of a more profound sebaceous gland and this can last up to 2-3 weeks.
Believe or not, centuries ago people used to treat these conditions through methods we today no longer believe to be valid. These customs were based on their life experiences and beliefs. Here are a few empirical treatments for stye, just to let you see how people regarded this condition decades ago and how they used to heal it.
In This Article You Will Find:
10 Natural Treatments for Stye
1. Boric Acid, the Natural Treatment for Stye
Still, no need to worry since we have found for you a natural treatment for stye that has worked for so many until today. This is an old classic remedy for stye which implies buffering the sties with a cotton pad smeared in a solution made of boric acid dissolved in warm water.
For those who didn’t know until now, boric acid is a very powerful antiseptic and can be found under the form of white powder.
Also, as an alternative you can also use ophthalmic ointments based on kanamycin or neomycin which are both broad spectrum antibiotics that help you heal from sties and prevent relapses.
2. Potato Mash Remedy for Stye
In order for stye pains to stop, try this natural remedy. Boil 1 potato, peel it and mash it with a fork. Mix it with 1 egg yolk and a bit of hot milk, until you obtain a porridge. Spread the potato porridge on a piece of gauze and keep it for 20 minutes on the eye. Repeat 2-3 times per day.
Marigold tea poultice is also amazing.
A Home Remedy for Chalazion
Natural Remedies for Eye Conditions
Home Remedy for Irritated Eyes
3. Natural Remedy for Relapsing Stye
Green walnuts tincture is an amazing remedy for stye that relapses. Here is how you can use it.
- Cut 20 green walnuts into quarters and add them to a large necked bottle.
- Pour rye brandy or homemade brandy so that the alcohol level in 2-3 fingers above the walnuts.
- Seal the bottle and leave it in direct sunlight for the next 14-30 days.
- Slip and pour the tincture into smaller dark-colored glass bottles.
- Have 15 drops 3 times per day for the next 30 days.
- Pause the cure for 2 weeks and then resume it for another 30 days.
4. Natural Treatment for Stye with Greater Celadine
Pick up fresh celadine, wash it and press it through a gauze. Collect the drops into a sterile syringe or a pipette. After washing both eyes with chamomile tea, add 2 drops of celadine on the stye. Do this twice a day, in the morning and evening.
5. Urine Treatment for Stye
Whew you feel singing, itch or redness in the eye, this is a sign a new stye is forming, so put some of your urine on a cotton pad and pad the eyes gently. It’s no problem if the urine enters your eyes, that’s OK. Pad the eyes every time you urinate. There are no contraindications.
Other Natural Treatments for Stye
- Swedish Bitter Cure. Pad the stye several times per day with Swedish bitter.
- Honey Remedy. Make a simple mix with 30% honey and distilled water. Add 3 drops of this solution in each eye 2 times per day, in the morning and evening. After 12 days the stye will go away.
- Yeast Treatment for Stye. Dissolve a tsp. of fresh yeast in a cup of fresh water and drink it first thing in the morning. This is a 3 months cure.
- Flax Seed Poultice Remedy. Mix 2 tbsp. of ground flax seeds with 2 cups of hot water and leave them to expand a bit. Soak a piece of gauze or a cotton pad in this water and place it on the eye lid.
- Milk & Bread Cure for Stye. Soak bread in boiled milk and put it on the affected eye. You can also scald a lettuce leaf and place it on the stye.
3 Folk Natural Treatments for Stye
- Married people who had stye needed to take of their wedding ring and rotate it a few times around the stye and then the eyes needed to be kissed by their spouse. This is how people used to cure sties overnight.
- Another folk treatment for stye says that you need to tie a red wool thread around your hand wrist (in the pulse area). If you have developed a stye on your right eye you’ll need to tie it on the left wrist and vice versa.
- The third folk cure says that you need to place a little sulfur into a small wooden bag and tie it around your neck for 24 hours. The stye will go away when the 24 hours have passed. Heat up a wooden spoon’s end and place it on the stye, but make sure the temperature is bearable.
Hopefully you have learned new ways to heal stye naturally by using a natural treatment for stye based on boric acid and antibiotic containing ointments.
Stay healthy, naturally!