If you are looking for simple and effective natural treatments for stye, continue reading this article and find out what they are. But first.
Stye occurs when a sebaceous gland around the eyelid gets infected that at the beginning looks like a small red swallow that grows bigger and it usually lasts up to one week. If one week has passed and the stye around the eye is still there, you may have something called a chalazion, an infection of a more profound sebaceous gland that can last up to 2-3 weeks. Believe it or not, centuries ago people used to treat these eye conditions using remedies that today we believe to be quack. Here are a few natural treatments for stye that people from Central and Eastern Europe have used to heal eye infections, including styes. Let’s get into the remedies.
In This Article You Will Find:
10 Natural Treatments for Stye
1. Boric Acid, the Natural Treatment for Stye
Boric acid is a very powerful antiseptic and can be found in the form of white powder which is why this is one of the most powerful natural treatments for stye that has worked for so many people so far. This is an old classic remedy for stye and all you have to do is pad the eyelids (stye area) with a cotton pad soaked in a solution made of boric acid dissolved in warm water. Also, as an alternative, you can also use ophthalmic ointments based on kanamycin or neomycin which are both broad-spectrum antibiotics that help you heal from a stye and prevent relapses.
2. Potato Mash Remedy for Stye
In order to stop the stye pain, try this natural remedy. Boil 1 potato, peel it and mash it with a fork. Mix it with 1 egg yolk and a bit of hot milk, until you make a porridge. Spread the potato porridge on a piece of gauze that you apply on the eye. Keep the warm poultice on for 20 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times a day. Calendula tea poultice is also amazing. This is one of the most effective natural treatments for stye.
3. Natural Remedy for Relapsing Stye
The green walnut tincture is an amazing remedy for stye that relapses. Here is how you can make this simple tincture at home and use it for stye. Cut 20 green walnuts into quarters and put them in a large glass jar. Pour rye brandy or homemade brandy on top so that the alcohol level is 2-3 fingers above the walnuts. Seal the bottle and leave it in direct sunlight for the next 14-30 days. Strain and pour the tincture into smaller amber glass bottles with a dropper. Have 15 drops of this tincture 3 times a day for the next 30 days. Pause for 2 weeks and then resume for another 30 days.
This simple tincture is one of the best natural treatments for stye, because green walnut tincture is a natural antiparasitic, and styes are usually caused by internal pathogens.
4. Natural Treatments for Stye with Greater Celandine
Pick up fresh celandine plants, wash well, and press them a slow juicer, or mash them in the mortar. Collect the celandine juice into a sterile syringe or a dropper. After washing both eyes with chamomile tea, put 2 drops of celandine juice over the stye. Do this twice a day, once in the morning and then in the evening. This simple herb is one of the most powerful natural treatments for stye and other skin problems caused by viral or bacterial infections, such as warts.
5. Urine Treatment for Stye
When you experience stinging, itching, or redness around the eye, this may be a sign that a stye is forming. At this stage, padding it with your own clean urine can help tremendously. Pad the eyes gently with fresh urine, every time you go to pee. It’s no problem if the urine enters your eyes, that’s OK. Stop when the infection has subsided.
Other Simple Natural Treatments for Stye
- Swedish Bitter Remedy. Pad the stye several times a day with Swedish bitter.
- Honey Remedy. Dissolve 15 g of honey in 50 ml of distilled water. Put 3 drops of this solution into each eye 2 times a day, in the morning and evening. After 12 days the stye will go away.
- Yeast Treatment for Stye. Dissolve a tsp of fresh yeast in a cup of water and drink it first thing in the morning. This is a 3 months cure.
- Flax Seed Poultice Remedy. Mix 2 tbsp of ground flax seeds with 2 cups of hot water and leave to soak. Soak a cotton pad in the flax water and place it over the eyelid.
- Milk & Bread Cure for Stye. Soak bread in boiled milk and put it over the affected eye. You can use a lettuce leaf instead of bread.
3 Folk Natural Treatments for Stye
- Married people who have a stye need to take off their wedding ring and rotate it a few times around the stye and then their eyes need to be kissed by their spouse. This is how people used to cure styes overnight.
- Another folk treatment for stye says that you need to tie a red woolen thread around the wrist of your hand. If you have developed a stye on your right eye tie it on the left wrist and vice versa.
- The third folk cure says that you need to put a little sulfur into a small woolen bag and tie it around your neck for 24 hours. The stye will go away in 24 hours. Heat up a wooden spoon’s end and place it on the stye, but make sure the temperature is bearable.
Read Also: Home Remedy for Chalazion
Hopefully, you have learned new ways to heal stye naturally by following one or a few of the natural treatments for stye above. Styes can be healed without expensive medicine, but if you want to target the cause and not the symptom, you need to address the bacteria that has caused it in the first place. In this case, is usually Streptococcus. Stay healthy, naturally!