If you are looking for simple and effective natural remedies for open wounds, continue reading this article and find out what they are. But first.
Open wounds, when left untreated can lead to a bacterial infection. This is why, when wounding yourself it’s important to act fast. First, wash the wound well with plenty of water so that all the dirt gets out. Then use a natural salve or simple poultices that help heal wounds. There are many other natural remedies for open wounds that you can try. Here is a collection with some of the best that have proven their efficiency. Let’s get into the remedies.
14 Natural Remedies for Open Wounds
1. Calendula Salve, the Ultimate Remedy for Open Wounds
This one of the simplest natural remedies for open wounds that I remember my grandmother used to prepare when I was a child. She used to grow in her own little veggies garden the beautiful golden calendula flowers and collect them herself. I remember she used to prepare an ointment using pork lard and the boiled and cut plants and she used to anoint her wounds and even her articulations whenever they were sore.
Calendula Salve Recipe
- Heat up 300 gr of unsalted pork lard until it starts to sizzle.
- Then add the calendula flowers, strains, and leaves (5-6 small bouquets).
- Cover the pot with a lid and simmer them in the hot fat for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and leave the salve to stay until the next day.
- The next day, warm it up slightly and pass it through gauze.
- Keep in the fridge.
Calendula balm is especially good for healing open wounds, no matter their cause. Another highly efficient balm is the common comfrey one, made from comfrey roots exactly as the calendula salve above. Calendula tincture is another great treatment for wounds. For this you need:
- one handful of fresh or dried calendula flowers
- 200 ml of alcohol with 40% alcohol content (vodka would do, as well as rye spirits distilled)
- 1 jar with a lid
- 4 dark glass small bottles (50 ml capacity; even better if they have sprayer).
Fill the jar with the flowers and pour the alcohol over them, so that they are entirely covered up. Keep the jar three weeks at the window, shaking it on a daily basis. After the three weeks filter the tincture and pour it into the small dark glass bottles. In order to use it for washing open wounds and healing deep bruises and scratches dilute the tincture in the water at a rate of 1:10.
This remedy for open wounds may also be used to rinse your mouth in case you have diseased gums. This is one of the best among all the natural remedies for open wounds, scars, and bruises because marigolds have active anti-inflammatory substances that stimulate the closing of wounds and quick recovery of the skin tissue.
2. Birthwort Remedy for Open Wounds
This remedy is very useful for open wounds after surgery that don’t seem to find a way to heal and close completely. This is what you need to do. Before bandaging the wound you need to wash it well with birthwort tea. Birthwort is a plain weed that grows amongst corn plantations.
- Make a simple infusion by adding 1 tsp. of dried herb per 1 cup of hot water.
- Whenever you need to bondage the wound, heat up 2-3 tbsp. of this infusion and wash the wound with it.
You’ll see the effects of this simple remedy in 3 weeks or so when a new layer of skin will be growing back in place. Another way to use birthwort is as a decoction.
- Make a birthwort decoction as prescribed in the instructions of the package (boil for 20 minutes) and then leave it aside to cool down.
- Slip the decoction and use the obtained liquid.
- Soak a sterile gauze in it and apply directly to the wound.
- Leave the compress on till the next morning.
Repeat the procedure daily until the wound is closed and healed. Wash your hands well after every usage. This herbal wash is one of the most powerful natural remedies for open wounds.
3. Horsetail and Mallow Natural Remedies for Open Wounds
Make a horsetail infusion by adding 1 tsp of the plant in 250 ml of hot water. Wash the wound with this antiseptic tea. Prepare a cold macerate with 1 full tsp of common mallow per 250 ml of cold water and leave for 8-10 hours overnight. Next morning, strain the macerate, heat up slightly to reach body temperature, and wash your wound with it. When using these two teas, make sure you use the horsetail one before the common mallow. It’s necessary that you use them in this order. These herbs are some of the most powerful natural remedies for open wounds.
You Can Find These Herbs Here
4. Elder Offshoots Remedy for Open Wounds
This simple remedy is amazing for open wounds, as well as with even worse conditions, such as oral cancer. You’ll need to pick elder tree offshoots 2-3 cm in diameter.
- Remove the bark off the offshoots and then place the barks into a pan and pour over them 4 L of water.
- The barks need to be almost covered with water.
- Place the pot over medium heat and let it boil until the water quantity drops to 1 l.
- Let the pot aside to cool and then drain the content.
- Put the water resulted on fire with 250 ml of sunflower oil, 3 tbsp of honey and beeswax the size of an egg.
- Boil again until the liquids drop to half, then drain and slip through a gauze.
- Keep the remedy in the fridge in plastic containers.
5. Nettle Remedy for Wounds
Fill up a glass bottle with fresh nettle leaves without stuffing them. Pour alcohol over the leaves. Seal the bottle and keep it in direct sunlight for the following 2 weeks. All the cuts and bruises treated with nettle tincture heal fast and without pain. Wormwood tea is also as effective if you let it dry on the skin and anoint the wound with whisked egg whites. When the egg whites dry, wash again with wormwood tea.
Repeat this procedure 3-4 times per day until the wound closes and heals completely. Nettle and wormwood are powerful cleansers, which makes them some of the best natural remedies for open wounds.
You Can Find These Remedies Here
6. Propolis Tincture
Use alcohol propolis to pad the open wound several times per day. You can find alcohol propolis at your local beekeepers and natural stores. After padding the wounds with this tincture, apply well-washed plantain leaves. Propolis tincture is one of the most miraculous natural remedies for open wounds.
7. Greater Celandine Remedy
Open plagues heal faster if you use sterile compresses soaked in greater celandine oil. Greater celandine salve is just as good if you apply before bandaging the wound. Celandine is one of the most powerful natural remedies for open wounds.
8. Olive Oil Salve for Open Wounds
Mix 2 cups of olive oil with 1 cup of beeswax and put in a pot to boil. After the mixture has boiled, put it aside to cool down. The obtained paste has the consistency of butter and you can apply it after you’ve washed the wound.
6 Natural Remedies for Open Wounds that Won’t Heal
1. Wormwood and Sage Home Remedies for Open Wounds
If the wound presents purulent secretions as well, sprinkle wormwood and sage powder directly on the open wound. Keep the powders on for 2-3 hours, then wash them off with herbal tea, preferably greater burdock tea (1 tsp. per 100 ml of water). Wolf’s-foot club moss powder is also amazing in closing wounds. These herbs have a strong cleansing effect, which makes them some of the best natural remedies for open wounds.
You Can Find These Herbs Here
2. Leopard’s Bane Remedy
Leopard’s bane balm is amazing with open wounds if you use it alongside a natural non-toxic and ecological soap for washing the area prior to using the balm. Leopard’s bane tincture is just as effective for wounds that just won’t close if used as follows. Macerate 50 gr of flowers in 250 ml of 70° alcohol for 48 hours. Mix 10 drops of the obtained tincture with 100 gr of boiled and chilled water. Use this mixture to bandage the wound with it. Common centaury infusion is also amazing for wounds that have a hard time healing. These are some of the best natural remedies for open wounds.
3. Seabuckthorn Oil Remedy for Open Wounds
Use seabuckthorn oil to anoint the wound in the evening and let it take its action overnight. You can also apply directly smashed seabuckthorn berries on the wound. Beware! The seabuckthorn oil and berries stain, so make sure you bandage the wound well before going to bed. Sea buckthorn is one of the most effective natural remedies for open wounds.
4. Herbal Remedy for Open Wounds that Don’t Close
Mix 15 gr of leopard’s bane flowers with 20 gr of chamomile, 25 gr of oregano, 20 gr of common comfrey root, and 20 gr oak bark. Add 2 tbsp. of this herbal mix into 10 ml of alcohol and leave to soak for 12 hours. Then add 100 ml of boiling water over the macerate and leave it for 15 minutes. Slip the content and pour it into dark-colored bottles. Use three times per day for bandaging the wound. These herbs are some of the most powerful natural remedies for open wounds.
5. Clay Poultice
Before applying the clay, wash the wound with concentrated yarrow tea. Apply the clay cataplasm and then wash it off with the same miraculous tea. After 1 week of treatment, the wound will be almost completely closed and healed. This remedy has been successfully used in dog bite wounds.
6. Red Wine Cure
Find a high-quality, chemicals free red wine. Pour 200 ml of honey into a 1 L glass bottle and fill the rest of the bottle with red wine. Use this mixture to wash the wound. You may also use this wonderful remedy for poultices 2-3 a day.
Read More: 15 Home Remedies for Infected Cuts
We really hope that the natural remedies for open wounds here will truly help you out. Let us know in the comment section below if they have worked for you too. Stay healthy, naturally. Much love.