Want to learn how to make wood avens root infusion, how to harvest wood avens root, and use it as medicine? Keep on reading.
Wood avens root (Geum urbanum) contains active substances that stimulate the central nervous system, having a mental tonic action, that boosts a good mood and a positive mental state. This rhizome has amazing therapeutic properties, being a psychic tonic, an anti-infectious, and a very effective anti-tumor medicine. Before we show you how to make wood avens root infusion, here are the main health benefits of wood avens root and how to harvest this magnificent autumn medicine.
Health Benefits of Wood Avens Root
Wood avens root is a gentle but powerful stimulant of the central nervous system, that boosts mental clarity and good mood. In addition, it is a very valuable adjuvant during convalescence or chronic conditions as it increases appetite, and even stops weight loss. Wood avens root prevents bowel disorders in individuals who have a damaged or sensitive digestive tract, prevents viral upper respiratory tract infections, and can even heal oral problems, such as stomatitis and toothaches.
How to Harvest Wood Avens Root
Wood avens root or rhizome is harvested in late autumn, namely in November, when it is loaded with active principles. It is extremely widespread, especially in rare oak or sessile oak forests, at the edge of beech forests, through clearings, and at the edge of country or forest roads, etc. You can spot it by its yellowish star-shaped fruits that hang from its thin and dry stems. Dig at the base of this stem where you will find its root with a strong scent of cloves, due to eugenol, an essential oil secreted by the wood avens root.
Wash the roots in a stream of cold water, split them in two or four, and dry them in a thin layer, in a dry and well-ventilated room. When the wood avens roots acquire a woody consistency and become brittle (make a dry crack sound when snapped) the drying process is done. Keep the dry wood avens root in paper bags, in clean and moisture-free areas.
How to Make Wood Avens Root Infusion
Grind the dry wood avens roots using an electric coffee grinder into a fine powder. Put two teaspoons of wood avens root powder in a cup of water at room temperature and allow to macerate for 6-8 hours, or overnight. Strain the cold maceration and set it aside. Now use the same powder and steep in a cup of boiling water. Allow the infusion to cool down, combine the two extracts and the healing wood avens infusion is ready to use. This makes two cups of infusion, which is the regular daily dose for an adult. Here is how to use wood avens root infusion at home.
- Depression and asthenia – two cups of infusion daily for six weeks, followed by a two-week break; resume if needed.
- Sore throat, bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis – as an anti-infective remedy 3-4 cups a day of this infusion are recommended during the cold season, for the prevention and treatment of sore throats, and bronchitis, as well as as an adjuvant in pneumonia and even pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Severe dehydration – when diarrhea or dysentery are also accompanied by severe dehydration, combine equal parts of wood avens root and silverweed (Potentilla anserina) – 1 teaspoon of each to a cup of water and prepare the same infusion above – drink 3- 4 cups a day.
- Cancer – as an adjuvant in cancer, drink half a cup of wood avens root infusion, half an hour before eating to regain appetite, stop weight loss, prevent intestinal disorders, and improve physical and mental tonus.
- Canker sores, gingivitis, stomatitis – rinse your mouth with the wood avens root infusion 3-4 times a day for 6-12 days to enjoy its anti-infectious, cicatrizing, and skin cell regenerative properties.
More Wood Avens Recipes:
Wood Avens Root Powder
Wood Avens Root Tincture
Now you know how to make wood avens root infusion and how to use this natural medicine at home. If you’ve enjoyed learning the health uses of wood avens root and its medical applications, please share this article. This way, you help more people reach and potentially use this information. Stay healthy, naturally!
Share on Pinterest ❤️