Want to learn how to make shampoo at home with only 3 simple herbs? Continue reading this article and make your own natural shampoo at home with herbs.
Did you know that there is one herb that makes shampoo-like foam and acts as a natural shampoo? Yes, there is and is called soapwort (Saponaria officinalis). Soapwort is the ultimate “shampoo herb”, used for decades as a natural soap and shampoo for all types of hair. Before we get to the natural shampoo recipe, here’s why making your own shampoo from herbs is better than buying.
In This Article You Will Find:
Why Make Your Own Herbal Shampoo?
The skin is one of the largest breathing and detox organs in the body, and everything that comes in contact with the skin can be absorbed into the body. Conventional shampoos and hair products are loaded with harmful ingredients that are very toxic for the scalp and the skin. Some of the most common toxic ingredients in shampoos are:
- formaldehyde (labeled “quaternium-15“)
- sodium lauryl sulfate (SLES)
- selenium sulfide (can cause internal damage)
- resorcinol (inflammatory and irritating to the skin and eyes).
Store-bought shampoos also contain detergents, dyes, and artificial fragrances. What’s even worse, some of the toxic ingredients in conventional shampoos are not even mentioned on their ingredients list. When buying shampoo, choose natural shampoos instead of conventional ones, or make better, make your own natural shampoo following the recipe in this article. If you want to make your own 100% natural shampoo with herbs, here is how to make it.
Herbal Shampoo Recipe Ingredients
For the natural shampoo recipe, you need three simple herbs:
- 1,5 tsp finely chopped soapwort root (Saponaria officinalis)
- 2 tsp dried lemon balm leaves (Melissa officinalis)
- 2 tsp dried birch leaves (Betula pendula)
- 450 ml water / 2 cups
These three herbs work together in this natural shampoo recipe and complement each other. Soapwort, the key ingredient contains substances that have foaming properties, just like soap. Lemon balm adds a lemon scent and cleanses the hair well, while birch leaves promote hair growth.
How to Make Shampoo at Home
Bring the water to a boil, add the soapwort root, and simmer for 20 minutes. Then pull the pot aside and add the other herbs. Put a lid on the pot and allow for the liquid shampoo to cool. Strain and pour the ready natural shampoo into an amber bottle and keep it in a cool place and away from light for 7-8 days. The shampoo recipe makes for 6-7 washes.
Natural Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Instead of using shampoo. Massage the damp hair with one whisked egg for a few minutes. Rinse with warm water in which you’ve juiced 1/2 lemon for natural hair shine.
- Dandruff. Massage the root of your hair with cold-pressed apple juice, leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse. Equally effective: add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and use the same way as the apple juice. Nettle is also an amazing natural hair rinse for dandruff.
- Hair volume. After washing your hair, massage it with a little baking soda dissolved in a little water, then rinse.
- Extra shine. Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to the last hair rinse water.
If you’ve enjoyed reading the article on how to make shampoo at home with herbs, and think that other people may find this information useful, please share it on social media so more people find it. Now you know that there are simple and natural ways to make shampoo from herbs. Be happy and beautiful, naturally! ??
Share on Pinterest ❤️