Want to learn how to make rose oil at home and how to use rose oil for health and beauty? Keep reading and find out.
Rose oil is one of the most precious preparations that you can make from rose petals, especially the famous Damask rose. But few people know that actually rose oil is not just an ingredient in skin care or beauty products, but also a true remedy for a few health problems, including insomnia and otitis. Indeed, rose oil is a miraculous natural product with many cosmetic and health uses, and today we want to share with you how to make rose oil and also how to use rose oil for health and for beauty purposes. But before we jump to the recipe, a small clarification is needed.
In This Article You Will Find:
Rose Oil vs Rose Essential Oil
The rose oil recipe here is now a recipe for rose essential oil but for rose-infused oil. Pure rose essential oil can only be obtained through a process of steam distillation, is found in small bottles, and is differentiated by the purity of the smell and by the price, being much more expensive than synthetic rose oil that is obtained industrially. Make sure the rose essential oil you purchase is pure steam-distilled oil, which comes at a cost. Cheap rose essential oils are actually toxic synthetic fragrance oil, so watch out. Fragrances and perfumes are toxic as they are loaded with toxic heavy metals! Now that we’ve cleared things out, here is how to make rose oil, the infused kind.
Pure rose essential oil disinfects the skin and protects it from harmful external agents (pollution), smoothes and rejuvenates the skin, and fights acne, and wrinkles.
How to Make Rose Oil at Home
Fill a glass jar with scented rose petals, red or pink ones are the best. Also, the petals must be healthy, fresh, and picked only in warm weather. Pour over almond or olive oil (cold pressed), seal the jar, and leave to macerate for at least two weeks. Shake the jar daily. Put the sealed bottle on a double boiler and boil for 20. This infused rose oil is solely used for cosmetic purposes namely to treat aged and wrinkled skin of the face, neck, and décolleté. Gently massage onto freshly washed skin. The remedies and recipes that we will show to you below make use of rose essential oil, which you can find online.
Now that you know how to make rose oil at home, here is how to use rose oil for health.
How to Use Rose Oil for Health – 8 Natural Remedies
- Insomnia & Depression – inhale the aroma of rose essential oil several times during the day.
- Respiratory Tract Infections – rose oil Inhalations are also beneficial in respiratory infections, asthma, cough, fever, liver congestion, or nausea. For inhalations, fill a large pot with hot water and add 3-5 drops of rose essential oil. Lean over the steaming pot (20-30 cm distance), cover your head with a towel, and breathe deeply the steam for a few minutes.
- Angina Pain – wear a medallion with a cotton pad soaked in a drop of rose essential oil around your neck.
- Otitis – 2-3 drops of rose essential oil into the ear, three times a day.
- Blepharitis – anoint the inflamed eyelids 2-3 times a day with rose essential oil, for one month. Alongside, drink tea made from rose petals (recipe here).
- Cellulite – add 12 drops of rose essential into 100 ml of olive oil. Rub it in your problem after a warm shower.
- Inflammation, Sprain & Headaches – to make a hot compress, pour 4-6 drops of rose oil into very hot water. Soak an absorbent cotton cloth, squeeze out the excess liquid, and apply the compress directly to the affected area, then cover with a towel or plastic film. This also works for burns, varicose veins, and bedsores.
- Menstrual Cramps & Muscle Cramps – hot compresses with rose essential oil have proven to be very effective, and soothing, for menstrual or muscle cramps. Prepare the same way as cold compresses but with cold water instead of hot.
How to Use Rose Oil for Beauty – 3 Amazing Recipes
1. How to Make Rose Oil Bath
Add a few drops of rose oil in two teaspoons of your natural shower gel or foam and add to your bathwater. You can use fresh cream (3 tbsp) instead of the shower gel if you want to go more natural. Or, add 5-6 drops of rose oil into a liter (4 cups) of natural whey and pour it into your tub. To make your rose oil bath more aesthetically pleasing, sprinkle a handful of fresh rose petals on the foamy bathwater.
After washing your body well under the shower jet, put two drops of rose oil directly on your bath sponge. Then gently rub your whole body, but avoid the sensitive areas. The rose perfume will relieve you of stress and will induce a good, positive mood.
2. Face Tonic with Rose Oil
- 25 g of dried rose petals
- 350 ml of rose water
- 2 drops of rose essential oil
- 50 ml of apple cider vinegar
Place the rose petals in a glass jar and pour the rose water and apple cider vinegar over them. Close the container and leave to macerate for three weeks, in a cool and dark place. Strain the tonic water, add the rose essential oil, and store it in the refrigerator in a glass jar or bottle. Wipe your face with this tonic water, in the morning and in the evening, after removing your make-up.
3. How to Make Rose Oil Face Cream
- 5 g beeswax
- 15 g lanolin (1 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 50 ml rose water
- 2 drops of rose essential oil
Melt the wax and lanolin down on a steam bath/double boiler, then add the almond oil, and bring the composition to 60°C/140°F. Separately, warm up the rose water at the same temperature. Remove the pot with the melted fat off the heat and add the hot rose water. Whisk everything well, and when the composition becomes lukewarm, add the rose essential oil. Pour the rose face cream into a glass container and keep it in the refrigerator.
You can use the rose oil cream both as a day or night cream. It spreads easily, and it’s immediately absorbed by the skin. This natural face cream calms and smoothes the skin, and it is also suitable for sensitive skin with a predisposition to rosacea.
Rose essential oil can be added to many skin care products, to soften and hydrate the skin and reduce inflammation, but it can also cure herpes and eczema. Add 2-3 drops of pure essential rose oil to your day cream.
Things You Didn’t Know About Rose Oil
Rose oil was well known and used since ancient Persia for religious worship. It became a beauty product only in ancient Rome when the military doctor Dioskurides praised its healing virtues. In his medical work, composed of six volumes dedicated to health and beauty, rose oil plays a leading role.
Today, rose oil is among the most important ingredients in natural cosmetics, being used in the majority of beauty products. If you have your own distiller equipment and roses at hand, you can make your own rose essential oil at home, with an extra guarantee of freshness. Pure rose essential oil doesn’t contain additives, and it can safely be used by anyone, even people with allergies.
Read Also: How to Make Rose Water & Use at Home
Rose oil is a miraculous preparation that you can easily make at home by soaking rose petals in pure base oil and use in skin care. Now you know how to make rose oil at home, and most importantly how to use rose oil for health issues as well as to make your own natural skincare products. Stay beautiful, naturally!
Share on Pinterest ❤️