Want to make your own natural hand sanitizer? It’s easier than you think. Given the recent world events, namely the epidemic, we figured we shared with you a simple homemade recipe for hand sanitizer.
Hand sanitation may help prevent viruses from spreading and is one of the simple measures to protect against bacteria. Hand sanitizers are running short on store shelves worldwide. No need to panic though, we can make some at home, with all-natural ingredients, no toxic propylene glycol, and other chemicals. This is a simple hand sanitizer recipe that you can make at home, using only 3 ingredients, that a lot of us have in our homes already, or are easy to purchase. Here we go!
3-Ingredient Homemade Hand Sanitizer Recipe
- 1 teaspoon of vodka (70% alcohol)
- 5 drops of tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- 5 drops of clove oil (Eugenia caryophyllus)
- 100 ml of water
How to Make
- Add the vodka and the essential oils to a glass spray bottle.
- Shake very well.
- Add the water and shake again.
- Your 100% natural hand sanitizer is ready to use.
How to Use
Spray 2-4 pumps of the liquid onto your hands, rub hands together to moisten the entire surface, and rub until dry.
Good to Know
- Tea tree oil is the most powerful disinfecting oil that you can use externally.
- You can add Aloe Vera gel if you want to make your hand sanitizer more like a gel instead of a spray. This is totally optional because the hand sanitizer is effective as is.
- A 70% concentration of ethyl alcohol is ideal because it has shown the best penetrability in the bacterial cell. The disinfecting action of alcohol happens 2 minutes after application.
Other Essential Oils that Have Disinfecting Action
Tea tree oil is remarkable for its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties, this is why we use it in the natural hand sanitizer recipe. But there are other essential oils you can use in this recipe. For instance, clove oil is known for its antimicrobial uses. Other natural essential oils with proven disinfecting properties for external use are:
- eucalyptus oil
- lavender oil
- incense oil
- cinnamon oil
- lemongrass oil
- thuja oil
- lemon oil
- mint oil
- sage oil
We really hope that you will try the simple natural hand sanitizer recipe at home. Stay safe, naturally!