Want to learn how to make hawthorn berries extract for heart problems? Continue reading and find out how to make this healing extract.
Herbal healers around the world have agreed that hawthorn is the ultimate herb for the heart. In addition, hawthorn berries have a mild sedative effect thus reducing mental excitability and anxiety, which can lead to the onset of angina. Moreover, it seems that hawthorn berries also protect the liver and boost natural immunity against infections. Hawthorn can be used for long-term treatments, without unwanted side effects, as happens with synthetic drugs. Before we show you how to make hawthorn berries extract, let’s see how to harvest hawthorn berries first.
In This Article You Will Find:
How to Harvest Hawthorn Berries
The harvesting time for hawthorn berries (Crataegus monogyna) is September-October, before the first frost. The ripe berries have an intense red color (not pink or dark red) and are harvested without the stems, only the berries. Harvest them in canvas or paper bags. Dry the berries in shaded places, away from moisture, in a very thin layer (ideally the berries should not touch each other). The drying process is quite long, taking about 1-3 weeks, and it is done when the pulp of the berries is completely dehydrated and slightly brittle, breaking easily when cutting the berries with a knife.
How to Make Hawthorn Berries Extract
First, prepare the hawthorn berry tincture by soaking 2 teaspoons of coarsely chopped dried berries (20 g) in 100 ml of food alcohol or other distilled homemade alcohol for 10 days. Shake daily. Strain through cheesecloth, after which keep in the refrigerator for 6 days for complete clarification. Gently transfer the clear part into another glass bottle, preventing any residue that has settled on the bottom of the jar from coming out.
To make the hawthorn berries extract, put some tincture on a small plate so that the water and alcohol evaporate completely. You will obtain a fine reddish powder, sweet-sour to taste, and extremely concentrated in active principles. Store this extract in glass jars, and use it over the course of 2 years from the date of preparation.
Hawthorn Berries Extract Benefits
Hawthorn extract is the kind of natural remedy that heart patients, as well as those who make intense physical or intellectual efforts, should have at hand at any time. The extract contains 5-6 times more active principles than the simple hawthorn berries powder and is fully assimilated by the body, compared to the powder which is only 25% assimilated. As such, the hawthorn berries extract is the most concentrated “medicine” you can make from the hawthorn berries, so it is not surprising that all the studies done in the last decades on hawthorn have used the extract.
Hawthorn, especially the berries, are among the best-tolerated medicines in the world, with 98% of those treated with the hawthorn extract showing no adverse reaction, and the others only mild symptoms.
8 Health Uses of Hawthorn Berries Extract
1. Cardiac Ischemia (Coronary Heart Disease) – when using large doses of the hawthorn berries extract (over 900 mg per day), for a period of over 8 weeks, the therapeutic action is truly remarkable. Starting with week four, physical exercise capacity is increased, dyspnea and fatigue are reduced, and cell oxygenation improved, as was the overall physical and mental state.
2. Angina – 400 mg of hawthorn extract, 3-4 times a day, reduces the frequency and intensity of painful angina attacks. Moreover, hawthorn extract positively influences emotional state, given that emotional tension is involved in the occurrence of more than 60% of angina attacks.
3. Hypertension – 1000-1200 mg per day of hawthorn berry extract, in courses of 40-60 days, followed by 14-21 days of break, after which administration can be resumed. The ideal time to start this treatment is at the beginning of the cold season, but also when it is very hot and there is a lot of pressure on the cardiovascular system.
4. Atherosclerosis – 4-6 hawthorn berry capsules per day, over the course of 3 months, followed by a 1-2 month break, after which the administration can be resumed. The hawthorn berries extract treatment can stop the evolution of this condition and, more importantly, prevent many of its complications.
5. Heart Rhythm Disorders – 900 mg of hawthorn berries extract per day to stabilize heart rate as well as blood pressure. When combined with motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca), the results are even better. During the treatment, eat foods rich in assimilable potassium, namely bananas, apples, boiled potatoes, and melons.
6. Post-Infarction Sequelae – 200 mg of hawthorn berries extract four times a day. Experimental studies conducted in several laboratories around the world have highlighted the fact that the administration of hawthorn after a myocardial infarction favors the revascularization of the heart muscle, stabilizes blood pressure, and helps to increase the caliber of the blood vessels that feed the heart.
7. Premenopause Symptoms – 1200 mg per day, for a period of 30 days, followed by 4 days off has shown amazing results for hot flashes, palpitations, restlessness, and nervousness. The treatment has exceptional results when associated with a vegetarian diet (mostly raw fruits and veggies).
8. Hepatitis – 600 mg of hawthorn berries extract per day. Studies carried out in China, both on animals and humans with viral hepatitis type B and C, have shown that the administration of hawthorn berry extract leads to surprising improvements in the symptoms of hepatitis, as well as blood work. To boost the effects even further, associate hawthorn with milk thistle extract (Silybum marianum).
In the long term, hawthorn reduces the incidence of myocardial infarction by more than 40%, including in people who suffer from irregular heart beats, high blood pressure or who have high cholesterol and triglyceride. Supplementing with hawthorn is much more effective when associated with a vegetarian diet with lots of raw fruits and vegetables, and low in salt and hot spices.
Hawthorn Berries Side Effects
In very rare cases, hawthorn can have so-called paradoxical effects, namely cardiac arrhythmias and indisposition (headaches, nausea, etc.). For this reason, hawthorn remedies should be administered in small amounts (100-200 milligrams of extract per day), in the first 2-3 days of treatment, increasing the dose gradually, if the mentioned adverse reactions do not occur. Hawthorn overdose, i.e. exceeding 10-20 times the normal doses, which are 30 grams for the whole plant/berries and 16 grams for the hawthorn berries extract, can lead to cardiac arrhythmia, nausea, and hypotension.
More Hawthorn Berries Recipes:
If you’ve enjoyed learning how to make hawthorn berries extract for heart problems and other health issues, please share this article so more people can use this information. Let us know in the comments below if you’ve ever used hawthorn berries extract and what was your experience with it. Stay healthy, naturally!
Share on Pinterest ❤️