Natural antivirals have been used by people for centuries. They have a powerful action against all sorts of viruses. Viruses are the culprits for many respiratory conditions, skin conditions, even digestive and bowel issues. Without further ado, let’s see which are the strongest natural antivirals.
In This Article You Will Find:
10 Most Powerful Natural Antivirals & Use
1. Thyme Oil
Thyme oil is one of the most powerful antiviral and antibacterial essential oils and extracts. Clove oil is next in line. It is a reputable anti-infectious with a broad use spectrum. Thyme oil is a natural antiviral used successfully for:
- viral respiratory infections
- digestive infections
- urinary tract infections
- immune booster
- nervous system booster
Bronchitis or cough? Thyme essential oils have a tremendous antiviral effect that soothes the airways. Even more so, this simple oil prevents bacterial super-infections, that cause pneumonia and other severe complications of the flu.
How to Use Thyme Oil as Natural Antiviral
- The recommended dose is 2-3 drops of thyme oil twice a day, in 7-14 days cures.
Or, you can make while thyme poultices as follows.
- Scald 2 teaspoons of thyme in 1/2 l of boiling water and infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and allow it to cool until the temperature is bearable for the skin.
- Soak a cotton towel in the tea, squeeze it and apply it on the chest area.
- Place a towel on top of the poultice and a woolen shawl over it.
- Let the poultice act until it cools down.
Where to Buy Thyme Oil Antiviral:
2. Elderberry Tincture
Elderberry is a renown powerful antiviral, diuretic and depurative, a powerful force against all influenza viruses. The tincture made from elderberries has an amazingly strong antiviral action.
In all actuality, it’s action is hard to match by any other known medicine, natural or synthetic.
This has been proven by an eminent Israeli researcher, Dr. Madeleine Mumcuoglu, who specializes in virology.
She has shown that elderberry extract blocks class A (including the bird flu epidemic) and class B viruses from penetrating the cells of the human body. She did tests on dozens of flu virus strains and patients, and got amazing results:
- After taking elderberry tincture, about 35% of the flu patients had very mild flu symptoms.
- For 40% of them, the flu symptoms completely disappeared after 3-4 days, with no further complications.
- Healthy patients has a significant lower percentage of contracting the flu after taking 15-30 ml of elderberry extract as a prevention during influenza epidemics.
How to Use Elderberry Tincture as Natural Antiviral
If you want to prevent flu, follow a 2-week cure with elderberry tincture right before the flu epidemic.
- Take 3-6 tablespoons of elderberry tincture a day (diluted in water).
If you have already have contracted the flu, you can dose up to 2 tablespoons of tincture diluted in half a glass of water, 3-4 times a day (preferably at 4 hours intervals in between doses).
To make this antiviral even more effective, you can couple it with birch buds extract.
Birch buds extract (Betula verrucosa) plays another very important role. It stimulates the body to fight the infection one on one. It also boosts the immunity, particularly at the level of the middle and upper respiratory tract, where influenza virus hits first.
- You can take 50 drops of birch buds extract, 3 times a day, in cures of 1-2 months.
Where to Buy Elderberry Tincture Antiviral:
3. Star Anise Oil
Star anise is an evergreen bush tree from the Illiciaceae family. It is native to southeastern China, and frequently encountered on the mountain slopes of the Yunnan region. It’s use as an antiviral medicine dates back at 5,000 years ago. It is actually very hard to trace it back to the civilization that first “domesticated” it.
Star anise seeds are a powerful natural antiviral for viral respiratory infections of all sorts.
The antiviral property of star anise oil is due to a substance called shikimic acid. When this acid gets into the liver, it is turned into a powerful antiviral, that is further released into the bloodstream. The antiviral effect of this substance is so strong that it has become the basic component of the well-known drug Tamiflu, famous for its effects against severe influenza viruses.
Star anise essential oils have expectorant and antispasmodic properties. This is why star anise is a remedy always present in tea combination formulas for cold and flu.
How to Use Star Anise as Natural Antiviral
Both the star anise powder and tea have amazing natural antiviral properties.
- Add star anise powder to spice your food.
- Enjoy as many star anise teas as you like.
- Anise star oil or extract is also great. Use it accordingly to the instructions of the package or consult with a naturopath.
Where to Buy Star Anise Antiviral:
4. Bee Products
Bees are not just natural pollinators and honey-makers. They are divine healers of our planet. Bees collect all that is best from nature and make it into some of the most powerful natural antivirals. Honey, royal jelly, pollen and propolis, all are amazing antivirals.
- Propolis – has natural antiviral effect. In addition, it has a protective role for the hepatic cells, due to its high concentration of bioflavonoids. It is considered the most powerful anti-infective. More so, a broad-spectrum antibiotic, antiviral, immunostimulant, anti-inflammatory, healing and local anesthetic. Propolis is twice as effective as aspirin. Modern studies have shown propolis can kill at least 21 species of bacteria, 9 species of parasitic fungi and 30 types of viruses.
- Royal jelly – its antiviral effect stimulates the normal regeneration of hepatocytes. Fresh royal jelly in particular has a maximum antiviral and cell regenerating power.
- Honey – is a natural depurative, and according to recent studies, has tremendous antiviral effect.
How to Use Bee Hive Products as Natural Antivirals
You can use the three produce aforementioned alone, or combined. There are many natural products that contain a combination of them. This is how you can take them:
- Propolis extract – adults 30-40 drops diluted in 100 ml of water or tea, 3 times a day, between meals.
- Royal jelly – 1-2 g /day, keep under the tongue, then swallow.
- Honey – 1 tbsp of raw organic honey (manuka is a great choice) a day; don’t use if you are diabetic.
Continue the cure for 10-15 days.
Where to Buy Bee Hive Antivirals:
This powerful natural antiviral is native to southeastern Canada and the eastern United States. Also called orangeroot, this herb is a natural anti-infective, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic.
Goldenseal has the property to minimize the penetration of the infectious agent or virus into the tissues by stimulating immunoglobulin (IgA) synthesis. This extract is a natural protection for the mucous membranes (respiratory, sinus, intestinal and urinary) against viruses.
Goldenseal extract is recommended for herpes simplex infections, cytomegalovirus infections, papillomatosis etc.
How to Use Goldenseal as Natural Antiviral
If you want to use Goldenseal extract as natural antiviral, look for one with at least 10% berberin concentration. Use it as prescribed on the package.
For even better effects, use it together with a powerful immunostimulant. Ganoderma extract with high beta-glucan content, or Echinacea are a great pair. They both stimulate the immune system to fight cold and flu viruses. Supplement with 1000 mg natural Vitamin C and with Vitamin D 3.
Where to Buy Goldenseal Antiviral:
Cinnamon is used in the form of essential oil, tincture or powder for its strong antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. It fights infections of the respiratory tract, digestive tract, and fungal infections of the nails and skin. This is due to the esters it contains, namely: borneol, eugenol, mircen and 1,8-cineol.
But there are many more other health benefits of this powerful natural antiviral, namely:
Essential cinnamon oil reduces insulin resistance, balances blood sugar levels and reduces inflammation. Thus, it is also an important support in diabetes and obesity.
- skin infections
- canker sores
- bloating, constipation, slow digestion
- adjuvant in weight loss and obesity
- poor circulation
How to Cinnamon Oil as Natural Antiviral
You can use cinnamon capsules or extract, as prescribed on the package or bottle.
Where to Buy Cinnamon Antiviral:
7. Bay Leaves
Bay (laurel) is known since the times of the Roman Empire, when it was woven in wreaths for the victors. Back then, the aromatic leaves of the bay tree were used as a spice, and also as medicine. Due to the essential oils it contains, bay leaves make a strong natural antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal.
The extract from bay leaves is used in:
- respiratory infections
- digestive issues
- rheumatic problems
- fungal infections (especially Candida)
- skin infections
- canker sores
How to Use Bay Leaves as Natural Antivirals
It is used in the form of infusion, tincture, essential oil, decoction or macerate. Used in excess, laurel can become toxic, so be careful.
Where to Buy Bay Leaves Antiviral:
As simple as it sounds, onion is the ultimate antiviral panacea.
This simple vegetable has a very strong natural antiviral and antimicrobial effects, indifferent how you use it. Eating raw onions daily during the cold and flu season will most likely keep you healthy and safe. Other ways to use onion as natural antiviral is homemade onion syrup or hot onion tea. The later is a proven remedy for flu that affects the bronchi and the lungs.
Did you know? Placing an onion cut in halves on the bedside table overnight collects all the viruses from the air. Inhaling its scent aids in a quicker recovery.
How to Use Onion as Natural Antiviral
- Hot Onion Tea. Boil two medium-sized unpeeled onions in 1/2 l of water for 15 minutes. Strain the tea and sweeten it with honey if you wish. Drink the entire quantity right away, as hot as possible. Onion tea tastes quite unpleasantly, but its therapeutic effect is worth the pain of drinking it.
- Onion Syrup. Peel 5 large onions, finely cut them julienne and place in a large bowl. Add 8 tbsp of honey and macerate for 24 h. Stir with a wooden spoon as frequently as you can. You’ll see a syrup forming. Slip the syrup and pour it in a glass bottle with a cork. Store in the fridge. Have 1 tsp of onion syrup 3-4 times per day.
Where to Buy Onion Antivirals:
9. Olive Leaves
High dose olive leaf extract is a quick and effective weapon in the fight against viruses. Olive leaves are rather known for their cholesterol-lowering and hypotensive properties, but they also contain some active ingredients that activate the body’s defense system very quickly. These ingredients are so strong that today, olive leaf extract is one of the few effective remedies that still work in the case of AIDS, including in the terminal stages of the disease.
In the case of influenza infections, the extract from the olive leaves can almost miraculously stop the disease or turn it into in a very mild form.
To benefit from its natural antiviral properties, it is recommended to take olive leaf extract from the first symptoms of flu. You can also use it after the disease has installed. In this instance, the extract will reduce the healing time and prevent further complications. This natural antiviral can be safely used concomitantly with any synthetic drug.
How to Use Olive Leaves as Natural Antivirals
- Start with a higher dose of 1-1.4 g of olive leaf extract taken once.
- Continue with 0.4 g taken every eight hours, until complete healing.
Precautions: take the extract after eating, especially for high doses. Taken on an empty stomach, the extract can greatly lower our blood sugar, giving us dizziness, headaches, nausea.
Where to Buy Olive Leaf Antivirals:
10. Raw Fruits & Veggies
Plant-based foods contain, among other things, beta-carotene, vitamin C and other substances with powerful antiviral and antioxidant effects. Together, they nourish the body and strengthen the immune system. Hence, the most powerful natural antiviral is a diet consisting of fresh and if possible organic fruits and vegetables.
In the field of food research and nutrition, science still has a lot of digging up to do. Their near future findings about the healing properties of fruits and vegetables will surprise us all. Below, are the best antiviral fruits and vegetables.
However, following a diet rich in nutrient-dense vegetables and fruits is basically all you need to keep viruses away.
Garlic is one of the oldest known plants on Earth, mentioned in the oldest medical text, an Egyptian papyrus dating from 1500 BC. It is an important immunostimulator, effective in preventing and treating infections, as well as a natural broad-spectrum antibiotic (E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, streptococcus, pseudomonas, mycobacteria, enterococci), antiviral (influenza viruses, herpes) and antifungal (Candida, aspergillus, microsporum, trichophyton).
Countless studies have confirmed that garlic actually confers a sort of flu invulnerability. Its secret is the volatile substances it contains, which can destroy viruses and bacteria in the respiratory tract.
To make use of its natural antiviral properties, have two cloves of garlic a day (minimum), especially during flu epidemics.
The volatile oils in horseradish are a formidable antibiotic and antiviral in the fight against both chronic and acute bronchitis. Horseradish’s spicy taste comes from the natural compounds that are a natural barrier against microorganisms that cause all sorts of respiratory infections.
To make use of the natural antiviral properties of horseradish, couple it with raw honey.
Mix 4 teaspoons of grated horseradish with 2 tablespoons of honey and eat this throughout the day to prevent flu during the flu season. If the flu has already set in, eat raw horseradish simple or with beetroot. These two root vegetables have a natural respiratory antiseptic effect because they clear the upper respiratory tract from viruses.
3. Hot Pepper
Hot peppers have an extremely strong antiseptic action on the throat area. When you feel like coming down with flu or cold, eat a hot pepper with a plate of warm veggie soup. Its extremely prompt antiviral effect will surprise you.
Substances called flavones, contained in lemon juice and especially lemon peels, are an excellent immune stimulant and antipyretic, being an invaluable help when the flu has already set in.
In this situation, make the following antiviral lemon juice:
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon and add it to 1/2 l of water.
- Cut the lemon peel into fine slices and add it too in the water, together with 2 tbsp of raw honey.
- Mix everything well and leave aside at room temperature for the following 2 days.
- Have this delicious lemon syrup on an empty stomach, whenever you want a natural antiviral.